New Tesla Roadster - 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 1/4 mile in 8.8 Seconds

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the specs on this car.

Acceleration 0-60 mph - 1.9 sec
Acceleration 0-100 mph - 4.2 sec
Acceleration 1/4 mile - 8.8 sec
Top Speed - Over 250 mph
Wheel Torque - 10,000 Nm = 7375 ft-lb :shock:
Mile Range - 620 miles
Seating - 4
Drive - All-Wheel Drive
Base Price - $200,000
Base Reservation - $50,000
Founders Series Price - $250,000 (1000 reservations available)

This thing is batshit crazy.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--4Rp6tXtB--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/dvmmgdhzkbtru9onctna.jpg

So 2025 they will finish production on one of these?

I was going to post about this, lol. I didn’t watch the truck reveal last night because I wasn’t that interested… then they roll this out!

I love it BUT when it comes out in 5 years it’ll be slow again, lol.

I’m more interested to see if it actually ran 8s or ran 8s on paper.

Wheel torque is not the same as a dyno number. Its a different calculation altogether. 7000 is a huge figure, but not that earth shatterering.

In only if I get a big tax break on it. :wink:

Paper for sure.

Those tax breaks are on the way out. I think Tesla should be able to get by without them now though. Let the products stand for themselves.

Not even remotely interested.

Elon Musk is actually in favor of those tax breaks going away. He thinks it helps the bigger manufacturers more than it helps Tesla.

lol at the tax break comment on a 200k car.

This thing looks fun.

That is gnarly

Was it high-traction paper? Wonder what kind of tires you need to get that thing to hook up.

Heavy car
AWD
Individually powered wheels
Bunch of computers and sensors

Holy shit. It looked like it was catapult launched from a carrier.

Gonna go ahead in embed that video since most people will skip the link. Just jump to 57:00

the laws of physics would have to change for 1.9 to be slow.

Elon is fucking awesome. I hope no one pays a handful of women to lie about being groped by him. If they do, no Mars for us.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/227/749/1325615855473.png

It is roughly 50% faster to 60 than my car. Hard to imagine. (3 is 50% more than 2)

Can you elaborate? I remember this being an issue at first with the Model S but was later sorted out.

Not necessarily disagreeing, just trying to make sure.

Edit - the released numbers are likely similar to what the fastest Model S had.

We know the P100D has 920NM motor torque in Ludicrous mode, and has a final drive ratio of 9.73. 920*9.73=9049NM wheel torque.

The roadster has 10,000 NM. So yeah, much more realistic.

You have to take into account the drivetrain. If the electric motor had a 1 to 1 ratio, then whatever torque it makes would be wheel torque more or less. The drivetrain is used as a multiplier.

For example the Demon has an overall ratio of over 14 to 1. Multiplying max torque by that figure gives more than 10,000 ft lbs at the tire.