New Tires (Tweel)

thye should do that on all models just for pure looks

Maybe when the wheels are new but we all know how R&D works.

They can’t make air lighter…well to a degree they can with nitrogen, but they can always make the spokes lighter

I guess nobody will ever think of scissors and just prune the spokes…

for that reason alone, they need to put sidewalls on.

i like it, but what if you want to increase the “damping” force of those sidewall things? kinda equivalent to changing tire pressires. I guess you’ll have to stick with whatever rate tire you use. softer for dd, and harder for the track?

any idea if these will go for sale?

Just have inserts…

there is still a cpl centimeters u could use it on :lol:

Bump for another version. :slight_smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOSAQjCbXZE&feature=related

Bump! Only a few years away?

GM and Michelin have partnered on the project with the aim of reaching production by 2024.

Not only does the Tweel mean that blowouts will be a thing of the past, punctures are no longer a worry, and you no longer have to deal with potholes destroying your sidewall, but there is a lot of potential for sports cars with lateral G-forces no longer subject to sidewall flex. You could potentially add back in a bit of the tire cushion we’ve lost in sports cars in a race for ever shorter sidewalls. Michelin could, for example, build a sporty Tweel with good vertical cushioning while maintaining lateral integrity.

It will be interesting to see how you replace them. Looking at how it attaches to the rim my guess is the first version will be mounted to rims at the factory. Maybe they’ll have a core charge/swap type system where you get a new rim/tire combo and they take your existing rim/tire combo to be refurbished.

Also curious how they stand up to slushy roads. The design looks like it would be susceptible to getting snow and ice packed into the open spaces and throwing the tires terribly out of balance. This happens now with traditional rims/tires and a traditional rim has the tire’s entire sidewall height to protect it from picking up slop. With a Tweel all you have is the thickness of the tread.

I’d think the replacement interval would be longer, but more costly.

Maybe someone will adapt them to regular wheels?

I mean, if you’re the guy that bashes tires to death in potholes I suppose, but if you’re like most people that replace tires because they’re out of tread the interval will be the same.

It’s got to be fairly easy to cover up the open tire sides, i’d say that’s my only concern/visual issue at this point.

Cool stuff, wasn’t even on my radar.

Yeah, that’s a good point. Maybe it’s only open to show how it works. They could probably cover it with rubber without the reinforcements a traditional sidewall has.

Now how do we make some money and short the spike sticks industry? Eh by then the internet of things will be live and the cops will just shut down the car remotely :frowning:

I’m sure the 3 German brands are looking closely at them. Especially since most of the BMW M cars have Michelin’s made for them.

Get to about 1:15 in and you’ll see where they want to go with this… looks like organic looking wheel/tire combo things. Kinda looks like an eco wet dream…