stretched tires...

Can someone just explain why? I just got my rims in the mail and have to buy tires. What is with this stretched tire epidemic?? Do you actually think it looks better??
I just remember when I had my accord and it has 18’s on it, I bought tires and they were a little small (stretched), I hit one pothole and BAM! The lip on the rim was destroyed…

It only works on cars with fender flares. It looks stupid on anything else.

its stupid on everything

e46’s have flares.

is your ? whether or not you should buy them or are you just getting a general opinion on them? i would say stick to the size tire recommended and you really cant go wrong.

Jon

DONT DO IT
/END

x2

Stretch them like you are fucking a 4 years olds asshole

if you put a tire on a rim that is a little bit wide, it keeps the tread flatter and doesnt flex the sidewall as much…

now when i say “a little bit wide”, i mean like a stock BMW or MB or something of that nature.

the insane stretch tire epidemic is like fart cannons. its gay rice idiocy.

Brian

Its def taken too far sometimes. When it is its fn stupid.

Like Brian said a little stretch is ok, in fact on my buddies Ralt autox car they have the tires stretched a bit to help with the sidewall flex. But thats on a 12" wide, or so, race tire, not on a street car.

Dan

wow, I dont know what to say to that one Dano…hmmm

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/eurowner/stretchgonebad.jpg

Actually I should say it only looks good on old Toyotas.

edit pic added

http://www.cby.jp/hachiroku/img/p011-3.jpg

where that pic is HOT, it would looks just as HOT with regular sized tires

edit: all stretching does is sacrifice handling and the integrity of your rims.

From what it sounds like stretching helps handling because it stiffens the sidewall but sacrifices rims if not careful

Unfortunately there’s no place for the tire unless this car is a pure show-car. These old Toyo’s are not show cars, they are daily drivers and the stretched tire allows you to keep the rim at the edge of the flare and still have a good 2-3" of suspension travel.

It does decrease sidewall flex and in extreme cases it eliminates it but it’s not good for handling, it’s good for drifting.

Usually it’s a result of a rim with the wrong offset, and then tires that fit on thte wheel, that won’t “scrape” on the fender.

X…

^ I may have to stretch the tires on my car a bit, Its not because I am picking the wrong offset, its because I only have so much room between the spring and the outside of the fender.

Actually sidewall stiffness is one of the most important attributes of a good handling tire.

Stretching is bad for longevity, which isn’t important for drifting.