streched tires, why?

is the purpose just to say your running X width wheels? eventhough your not getting any more contact patch?

• Fitment reasons like not wanting to run overs or do a crazy fender work to fit wheels.
  • Looks pretty good IMO if not taken to far.
    I am sure there are more reasons for it tho,

jesus told me its cool

too make ahmed mad

1% of people do it to have stiffer sidewalls and less contact patch in the back so the car is easier to slide around and more predictable. The other 99% do it to fit bigger wheels or look cool, and claim that they do it to have stiffer sidewalls and less contact patch in the back so the car is easier to slide around and more predictable.

well for drifting like where the trend started wouldnt it help make the the side wall much stiff and less prone to flex

Which is exactly what Antonio said, only his sentence actually made sense.

it’s JDM duh!!!

i dont think it started with dirfting actually.

i remember seeing pictures of audi using a stretch on their old race quatros

Bosozoku guys have been doing insane stretches forever. Their stretches,camber,and 3 foot upwards exhausts are for aesthetic reasons. I’d say the outlaw culture crossed over since the original car scene in Japan was comprised of punks that didn’t want to conform to society’s standards-in Japan it is group based, not individual. Insane stretches and loud as fuck obnoxious exhausts were a big fuck you. The scene has matured a lot, but I’d say the history of stretched tires on Japanese cars lies within the older car punks and outlaws.

Man you know your stuff.

sidewall flex inhibits the tires to break traction and it causes tank slap, neither of which are good things for drifting.
But Solarian’s numbers are pretty correct. The people who do it for function are few and far between compared to those who do it to look like they did it for function.
It DOES look pretty cool I think, although all the domestic guys I know make fun of me for it.

i don’t think there’s a better explanation than this right herrr

Technically stretching tires to make the car slide better ISNT a performance gain LOL. Most ppl like grip, even drifters. Look at all the big name pro drifters…they have big, grippy rubber on there wheels for control.

Its purely an aesthetic style, evolved from the bozokou. Zero performance gain sadly.

As for stiffer sidewalls…if we compare a wheel (lets say it is 17x9) with a 215/45/17 tire stretched over it. And we take the same wheel and put on a larger more suitable tire on it, a 255 wide tire. The effect of the the stiffer sidewall on the smaller 215 because of it being stretched will be negilible because of the huge difference in contact patch.

Just another point on stiffer sidewalls…the only thing it does is allow the tire to more gradually break loose at its limit. A tire that is “balloned” on a rim, will experience a more sudden loss of grip at its limit. Not very good for a novice driver (Me haha :P) who does not have the experience to keep his car at but not over the limit of its tires cohesion with the surface of the track.

Tires that are “square with a rim”, are a compromise between the charactristics of the above mentioned styles. There is one constant beween all three of these styles tho…the bigger the tire, the more overall grip is avalible.

Atleast this is what I have gathered with my chats with ppl from local tracks and autocrosses.

I have noticed the Vertex cars don’t have stretched tires, same with Kei Office cars back in the day, Kazama Auto a whole wack load of dudes. Don’t even remember seeing much if any stretch on Taniguchi’s personal S15. I do remember when Advan Neova’s came out. The consensus was that a grippier tire was better for drifting. I have heard the stretched tire debate for many years. . I remember more dudes stretchingit because hipari was the shit, and the standard for aesthetics because everyone was on some Koguchi or Sexy Knights shit. That and it being all about sticking the biggest wheels under the car-this more than anything-with crazy offsets. Bosozoku influence man.

Sorry but stretch is gay nothing positive about it…

^ +1

i got -4.75° of camber in the front of my car with 9.5’s they still smash the fender, i run 215’s and never had a issue with understeer.

fakkkk all yall. i made my shit fit with a stretch. as for stiffer sidewall…i do it because im cool, not cause its cool.

I do it becuase its the only way to get my fenders to fit up front… Im not upgrading my front to overs because I wanna keep steel fenders. the rears will be over’d but I dont wanna over size the rear too much because then Ill get way too but understeer which in most cases is good Tires are $$ its just cheaper for me to run 255s… hell a 265 will be stretched… and with my new lips if they ever get back to me a 275 will be stretched I love dish… I do it for the style, for the looks I get from old folks in their tahoes and how they scratch their heads about how that is actually happening…

What are you running up front? I got 235’s and I’f I do full lock steering I hear a tire squeal from what sounds like a slight rub on my fender. 275 in the back is fucking nuts. I love big tires in the back, it feels so stable. You can be ass out from 1-3 and it still feels really stable. Wicked on the touge for sure.