New toy results...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/tallywhacker/M1Target100yrdsopensights.jpg

ok so its not mine. I borrowed my great uncles 1945 M1 Garand. that was at 100 yards with iron sights. First time I’ve ever shot an M1. So with some practice I should be a shit ton better. It was kinda shitty out today. So we’ll see how I do when we get a nicer day. I must say though, overall I LOVE this gun!

pics of garand? i love those things

hold up, I’ll take some now. alls I got is my phone camera so bear with me lol.

WTF I wanna go out shooting

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/tallywhacker/M1Garand.jpg

Its a sweet gun. VERY heavy. Which is good because it has no recoil pad, just a butt stock with a metal plate. The gun itself weighs 9 lbs 8 oz. With the magazine in it its just over 10 lbs.

sweet.

once i have a house im totally getting an old gun like that

Dude they are freakin awesome! I love old guns. Something about them is just so…old school kick ass. Like the whole “all that is man” thing. They arent fancy. They are practice, functional, and very well built.

I also shot a Remington model 700 .243 today. I’d post a pic of the results but its too hard to see with my phone. I shot 6 bullets and there was 4 holes in the area the size of a nickel. 2 of them went through the same hole.

My GFs old man has one…I’m waiting to shoot that thing

Those are great. Thats what we used in Honor Guard. I still remember none of the girls being able to charge it for the 21 gun salute.

Clip. Not magazine.

touche lol. Sorry. Force of habbit. My father is a range officer at his gun club so yeah. Gotta use the proper terminology lol. Whats funny is I’m a better shot than he is :P. If anybody wants to have a shooting meet sometime lemme know. I’d be down. I’d love to see how I fair against other target shooters. Once I become more familiar with the gun I know I’ll get MUCH better results. I must say though, I am impressed with that riffle considering it hasn’t been used in 30 years.

Just went to the range a couple weeks ago and fired a bunch of rounds through a friend’s garand. The sound of that clip going flying is such a great noise.

While it’s a great thing to experience today I can’t imagine having such a distinctive “that was my last shot” sound in battle.

guys used to keep an empty one in hand to throw down before they had the last shot, b/c the enemy used to use that as a hint as to them being out of ammo and jump up and that’s when you’d shot them. definitely a interesting characteristic to the weapon.

Yeah the twang of the clip being ejected is definately a distinctive sound. I forgot it did that and when I went through my first clip it scared the shit out of me lol. I was like oh shit…forgot that little detail. Gotta be really careful loading the clip to. Or the action will slam shut on your thumb.

Yep, although if you’re in a firefight against the enemy picking out that distinctive sounds at the end of the cartridge would be nearly impossible. So the “ping” of the last round thing is somewhat of a myth.

i <3 my M1

you will want one now lol

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/jeremypenfold/guns.jpg

I have a 1913 Enfield that has the steel butt plate as well. If I am doing a lot of shooting I usually wrap a towel around the end to save my shoulder.

I’m still trying to specifically Identify my 1861 rifle. It appears to be a Springfield.

nice 500, M590A1 here.

Seems to be a very popular gun. If anybody would like to do some shooting sometime soon before I have to give it back let me know. I think I may go out today seeing as how its such a beautiful day.