New track car. Never thought I'd own a VW

1983 vw rabbit gti. 92k miles on chassis. 5 sp.
1 owner car
head ported & polished
10.0:1 mehle pistons
balanced & blueprinted
neuspeed intake manifold
drake engineering header
borla exhaust
sachs hd clutch disc & pp
trans: 5th gear replaced with :74 ratio
neuspeed upper and lower strut bars
koni adjustables all around, 2" drop
neuspeed swaybars
delron bushings
quick ratio sport steering
neuspeed aluminum steering rack lock
15" riken wheels
hp estimated at 135-140

have grill, just need to repaint it.
interior is dirty but should clean up well, just need to fix tear in driver’s seat bottom and replace headliner.
body is in great shape, original paint is pretty decent as well. weird reflection in the first pic, must have been a cone or something
Should look pretty good after a full detail.

After selling my e30 touring I figured it would be a while before I would have another track car, business is still eating up my funds. My business partner and I were thinking we should just split a track car (1 is easier to maintain than 2) so this will be reg’d in my businesses’ name (Buffalo Motor Works) and I should get some seat time this summer after all

Who did you purchase it from?

you already know how jealous i am of this

Nice!

craigslist, don’t remember the guy’s name. Basically a 1 owner car though: the gentleman who bought it new passed away, someone bought it and put it right in the garage, I bought it 2 years later untouched and unregistered by the temporary holder.

Bob Gabri of Tonawanda is the original owner, my dad said he used to auto-x with him back in the day.

Looks fun

Going to SCCA at ECC North Sunday?

It looks like you just cut 2 doors off the E30.

Cool pick up. Looks like it’ll be fun.

nah, I don’t much enjoy autox. love road courses though.

car will need some time, has things that need to be sorted out and I need tires.

Would like a roll bar and harnesses as well

lol. true

nice man! Have any track days that you’re planning on hitting up?

Congrats Dre, looks pretty cool.

not yet. if we’re feeling ambitious, may get it ready for the june 13th trackday at the glen. likely too soon though

Nice pickup! That drake header is a badass piece, kinda hard to find too I believe.

Nice to see another track prepped VW around… Now I just need to find some time to actually get it to the track haha

I see Three wheel motion in your future… Nice!

X…

I like it. Nice pick up. :tup:

Dan

Probably be smart to hit up one autocross before trying a track day with it. A lot cheaper to sort it out there than after putting down track day money.

I’d be surprised if you saw 135hp out of that, my Dad raced a similar Rabbit in SCCA and it dyno’d in the low 90’s.

That being said, it’ll still be a blast to rip around the track in even if it isn’t that fast. Great car to learn to race in.

Hawt

nice pickup! errr car i mean. If interested in dyno numbers lemme know, i could strap it down on my dyno for relatively cheap and get ya some baselines.

The Rabbit I did my fist race school in was pretty much the same 90 ish hp. Couldn’t go fast enough to use 5th, but, extremely easy on tires and speed through the corners was fast (exit and on is a different story).

I just have to ask what did you pay for it, not trying to say it’s a bad car, but for it’s “show quality” it seems too nice for a track beater.