Newbie looking for expert info on 240sx's...S13/S14

Hello everyone,

This is pretty much my 1st post here. To tell you a little about myself, I’m from the GTA but going to school up in Barrie, Georgian College for the Automotive Business Management Program.

I am looking to get into a S14 or maybe even an S13, I read up a little bit on Wikipedia and some old reviews on the car when it came out and thats about it. I’m used to rear wheel driving, owned 2…lol !! But I need to know more about S14’s and S13’s.

So yes, if anyone can help me with information such as,

-Fuel economy figures
-Cost of Upkeep of the vehicle
-What to look for when buying one
-Anything specific that needs to change at certain mileage like head gaskets or timing chains?
-How expensive are parts? (I work part time at a Toyota Dealership, so I can get OEM stuff at cost.)
-I hear the diff tends to be a problem area - True/Untrue?
-Etc.

I shall be asking a lot more questions so please be patient with my noobness :smiley:

To sum it all up. Is this a car a student can buy and maintain it ?

Cheers

Bump…anyone ? Nobody with info available ?

ill give it a shot

-Fuel economy figures

30+ mpg on pure hwy driving, 22 to 24 mpg with regular/slightly aggressive driving

-Cost of Upkeep of the vehicle

cant help much here, only changed oils, airfilter, coolant, etc…cost about the same as my previous import cars

-What to look for when buying one

signs of abuse/accidents (frame distortion)
engine compression
if u’re getting a vlsd and care about it, make sure its not cooked
bushhings
rust in the spare wheel area

-Anything specific that needs to change at certain mileage like head gaskets or timing chains?

dont remember the specific schedule offhand…check the fsm…its downloadable somewhere

-How expensive are parts? (I work part time at a Toyota Dealership, so I can get OEM stuff at cost.)

typical import costs…

-I hear the diff tends to be a problem area - True/Untrue?

dont know about common problems…perhaps its more to do with welded diffs etc…the whole drive train can handle a lot of power, the weakest link is the drive shaft, it starts coming aapart after 250ish ft.lbs…next is the tranny, and its apparently good for up to 400…if the differential has been swapped etc then it depends on how it was done…either way, either the diff gets screwed up very soon after, or it never gets screwed up…its not a weak diff like the s2k…

im not an expert, but hope that helps!