Newman's 1986 BMW 326rb build thread.

if u need anything welded, (tig,mig, spray, fluxcore) let me know.

unbelievable, wasnt aware of the brilliant minds we have here at nyspeed. Looks awesome thus far newman.

damn i want to know how to make those patterns lol. i want to do a new manifold in the spring.

So i took the patterns i made, cut them out, wrapped them around the pipe (1 1/2 sch 10 304SS) took them to a bandsaw, then a massive belt sander, tacked them all together with a mig (309SS wire) and here is the result. I also drilled and tapped my 1/2 T3 Flange (will be studded)

wow that looks great :tup:

Looks great as usual :slight_smile:

As per our diff discussion the other day, I’m 90% sure you can swap casings from a 3 series diff to a 5 series diff and have the 5 series one bolt up. I’ll get back to you on that though.

cool.

is it just me or does that flange look bowed? u going to be milling that?

It’s not just you, but it might just be the angle we’re looking at it from.

i agree

it is warped some (saw it in person) but im pretty sure he made it so think so it can be machined after all the welding is done

it’s out about 1/32. I’m going to mill it, regardless.

very nice as always

dont feel bad. both my header flanges were bowed a good .125" from end to end, i shit you not. i knew i had exhaust leaks (not there), but god damn.

I made all my flanges 1/2" so I can mill them up to 1/8 inch and still have 3/8 of material.

looking good man keep it up…

my shit is 1/2" as well. but from what i understand, 3/8s for a turbo flange is cutting it close. anyways, i dropped my headers off at mcquillens with my short block, so ill be interested to see how they turn out. it will be nice not to have exhuast leaks next year

I’ve used a few ungasketed 3/8 flanges and never had even a single exhaust leak, plus, if the heat is well controlled when it’s welded, i doubt i’ll need to machine off more than 1/16

Looking good, did you get the file converted you needed? BTW that program stalled out and is currently sitting at around 2.5gb/3.0gb

Looking alright, nice touch using Inventor for the piping. Laugh at people thinking CAD work is hard. CAD is not hard, just takes time to be proficient at it and understanding how to use it wisely. Although like newman said, Inventor is not something you can just jump into.

Cant wait to see how it ends up.