Newman's 1986 BMW 326rb build thread.

newds of donar car?

christian, you can always just make a sandwich plate and line it with rubber from rubber department. and even run a bead of silicone. I think your overengineering shit here and just want to use cool machinery.lol

:word: Swing by any of the eleventy-billion good old boy machine shops in buffalo and be like “Hey I’m working on my car and need to tap a big hole. Can I borrow a tap for like 10 seconds?” I’ve gotten good results with different shit that way, especially if you have company ties somewhere and drop the name of the place you work.

Tap it, dope up a plug with some expando, cram it in there, and get on to the harder parts of the project. :tup:

I really hope this project gets all the way done, and the way you want it.

I heard alot of good things about the 240 before it god torn down again. Mabye i’ll actually see this one. :tup:

This is what a 500 dollar BMW looks like. It’s grey, not green. The sparco seat is not mine. It’s grey, not green. There are a few small dents and a little bit of rust that I will take care of when i paint the car. Today I am removing the dash and all the underdash components. I am rewiring the car from the driver seat forward. Originally, I was going to keep a full interior. After examining the car, I’ve decided that I am probably going to do a gutted, or at least “semi gutted” interior. The fitment is going to be tight, but i took some basic measurements.

The frame rail width on the skyline and BMW is 27"
The distance from the firewall to the rear of the cross member/swaybar is ~8" on both cars
The distance from the firewall to the front of the cross member/swaybar is ~16" on both cars
This is the tight one: the Distance from the firewall to rad support on the GTR is 40", while the same distance on the E30 is 33". EEP.

However, the RB26 is 31" long, back of engine to front of crank pulley. The skyline radiator i have is 1.25 inches thick. This leaves 3/8 of clearance front and rear. Since the motor does not torque in this direction, I think it should be alright. If not, I can get a narrower rad and put it UNDER the rad support. (stock location is aft of it.)

The brake booster is definitely going to be a problem. To a lesser extent, so is the downpipe (damn LHD cars).

I’ve already stripped almost 100 lbs off of the chassis in the engine bay alone, and another 100 lbs+ off of the rb motor (PS,AC,Front dif, Twin turbos and cast manifolds)

This is my tentative plan for construction:

Strip Body
Mount Engine
Build Exhaust and IC plumbing
New brake booster or remote mount
Build/buy driveshaft
Remove engine and all components. Strip to roller.
Shave firewall and enginebay.
Body work, paint, wheels
Paint engine covers, replace timing belt, thermostat and water pump
Reinstall engine and all plumbing
Rewire front half of car. Gauges?
Install race buckets. Possible bolt in cage.
Tune.

Mods:
RB26
GT35R @ 18psi
38mm tial WG
FMIC
Tial 50mm BOV
PFC or AEM. Ew. $$$
Seats?
Cage?

I am really enjoying looking at this because there are soo many possibilities to get creative.

That green is h0Tt

nice, looks like a $500 car. where are you going to pipe the I.C?

I’m pretty sure it’s green…

Name it “Project RBLime”

It’s in pretty decent shape, really. Only a small amount of rot, which i should be able to take care of.

And it’s not green. Lol.

i like the green!

Mmm E30 M2.6 :tup:

Planning on any visual upgrades, or is weight reduction more important? E30 M3 front valance?

i am thinking about getting a m3 bodykit kinda thing.

hmm if its got cancer showing on the body, its hidden everywhere else too. I would of spent more time and $ on finding a better shell for this project. Something imported from the south perhaps, could save you $ and time when it comes to reworking the body. Guess it just matters on how nice you are going to make it in the end. Kinda reminds me of toda’s civic party builds with a insane engine in a rust bucket shell.

it’s not a rust bucket, there is some slight rust. It’s not remotely unrepairable.

Acid bath!

what is that? I know very little about body work.

You guys going to be around Friday? I’ll be swinging by to drop some stuff off.

You strip the chassis and dip it in a bath of acid, stripping all body insulation, sound deadening, sealant, paint, etc off of the metal, leaving you with nothing but a bare metal shell to work from. It usually sheds some serious weight, too. Its usually done on projects like this where you might want to think about throwing the chassis on a rotisserie and seam welding the chassis, building the cage, etc.