Newman's 1986 BMW 326rb build thread.

you remove absolutely everything from the body of the car and take it to a place that does acid dipping and the take the whole body and dip it in the vat and it removes all the paint and everything 100% so basically you have a bare metal body.

approximate cost?

Not cheap, you have to find a place that can dip the entire chassis, unlike Soda blasting. Both have pros and cons. I believe there is a place up in Toronto that can do it. You have to strip it down to a bare shell, no fuel tank, wiring, absolutely nothing on it. Any removable body panel must be removed, all glass too. I’ve looked into it for the 951, honestly, you’re better off getting the car blasted.

Acid has a couple week lead time, and it has to be coated after it comes out or things start to rust pretty quickly.

newman, its not really worth doing…

we learned all about it and the restoration guys had one at school…
it works REALLY well but for this kind of a project thats going a little overboard (unless you have lots of money to dump into this) then i am a fuck and speaking out of turn, but i have seen many many older cars (like yours, minimal rust/damage) and they have been refinished perfectly with proper bodywork/materials…

any halfway decent bodyguy would agree, and could prolly fix-er-up no pro-blem-oo

wow, i would try another shell.

On what reasoning?

for $500 you cant expect a much better shell than that. its in damn good shape for that price, hell its in damn good shape in general.

did you get a hood with it?..jw

Yes, it came with a hood.

ok. well, you’re the body guy, not me. Take a peep at it when you get a chance. I’ll be there today at about 5:30.

???

only good way to fix rust is to replace till u meet good metal. i highly suggest a good media blasting if your looking to do it right and repair any and all rust. otherwise just grind down rust spots. depending on ur budget will depend on which route you take. if you got the cash to the acid bath.

i think that poopa hit it on the head. The car needs work other the the motor swap, so if the only thing he is intersted in is the motor swap then find a shell that only needs the motor swaped. if all you wanted to do was put the motor in some thing i would have built a go kart.

You clearly have zero clue what you’re talking about. I’ve spent time under this chassis, it has two spots that need 4"x4" squares welded in. One in the battery tray, one under a jack point under a fender which tends to go on all of these. I’ve seen how bad e30’s can be, this one is exceptionally clean, not to mention all german cars 1985+ are either galvonized, undercoated, or both.

your right, i have not spent time under ugly/ rusty looking BMW’s, nor do i want to. dont think cheaping put on a $500 shell like this one, is the “right” thing to do. ( not that it is my problem ) ( just giving feed back/ thought )

Newman, Bottoms got the rally car acid dipped, I will see how much it runs.

:rolljerk:Typical NYSpeed e-mechanic right there.

I think you should rethink your statement.[font=Verdana]You had any validity in that statement? I would expect that from a child. I had a higher bar set for you… (it is a shame that you stoop to that level)You do not give any justification (other then you have helped him get his car) and really need to realign your deductive reasoning skills. [/font]

[font=Verdana]But I would like this thread to stay on topic for Sir Newman sake. If the motor is that much “longer“ in the front, where will the transmission end up? How much weight will be in front of the wheels? It might have the same turning radices has my superduty…

[/font]

You need to get a fucking clue at who you are talking to…

its pretty clean for 500 bucks. i dont think anyone is arguing that here. but for another 500-700 you can get one with no rot and for a project like this why cheap out on the shell?? its a skyline powered bimmer. its fucking tits. i just think that somone who would invest good time and money on a build like this wouldnt take shortcuts and would do it Perfect. but i guess everyone has a budget and if it doesnt go according to plan well you only fucked up a 500 dollar car. :gotme:

Guess I’ll bite my tongue and stay out of the topic then. I feel that while my comments reflect poorly on myself (and I apologize for that). Since I have a time investment in the shell (even though it’s not mine) and the fact that I feel I was partly the one representing it to Newman, the comments from others also reflect on me. The E-Mechanic shot was a bit out of line, but judging from a couple photos on the internet is too IMO.

See, contrary to popular belief, I can be civil. It just takes me a few usually.

BTW i am in no way saying that newman got fucked or this isnt going to work with the shell he has.just playing devils advocate here. its just a picture and kinda hard to make any substantial analysis anyways.