Nissan Frontiers

Found a pretty good deal on a 2011 leftover Frontier. Its a SV 4x4 King Cab 6Spd, pretty much exactly what I want (minus the body color grilles of the Pro-4x). I’m curious though, is buying a mid size truck kind of a tease when I can get a 3-4 year old full size for the same price? Looking at about $22k for the record.

I will use it for DD/hauling my motorcycles around, not much towing unless I pick up a project car (which I have no plans to do in the immediate future).

Can anyone comment on reliability and cost of ownership on Frontiers? I’ve read all the edmunds reviews, but I never really find them helpful.

Any recommendations besides the Frontier I should consider. I will say I am not interested in the Tacoma, and Tundra’s are too pricey, even used.

If you’re not towing much, there is no real need for a full size truck. Even at that, the Frontier does 5K towing. IMO it’s one of the more desirable mid sized trucks for sure. I think it and the Tacoma stand in pretty high regard on that front.

not to be a dick or anything but if you are looking to spend that much you could get into a pretty nice diesel full size. Obviously it will not be that new though. I don’t have any exp with nissan trucks so I have nothing to say for or against them.

I looked for Diesels but I couldn’t find anything with under 100k on it for the price. Plus I hate Crew Cabs, which most were.

6500 for V6 2WD,
6300 for V6 4WD,
3500 for I4 2WD,

The Suzuki Equator is the same truck but may be able to find better pricing/options? Also Suzuki’s 10 year 100,000 vs. Nissan’s 5 year 60,000 for the same exact drive train.

100k on a diesel is absolutely nothing if its been well maintained

Idk why that little number on the dash scares people so much. If the person you’re buying ot from took good care of it, its doesn’t really matter. Just a bunch of numbers. Plus, higher mileage cars have a much lower initial purchase price. Would you rather buy a car that was driven everyday and well maintained, or aomething someone never did anything to that sat in a garage its whole life

I would much rather buy a new leftover 2011 with a warranty than anything with 100k miles on it. Even if the drivetrain is rock solid, little shit breaks. It’s annoying and can be expensive.

Toyota Tacomas are bulletproof. I have been shopping them as of lately because of how practical they are. This summer I will be moving back into the truck scene for towing my boat around.

not mention rust, and an old interior

edit: oh, and theyre likely offering 0.9% financing still

I’ve got the same truck basically. 2007 Xterra V6 6MT. I bought it new, it has 60k miles now. #3 on the blower doesn’t work, and both rear calipers started leaking but probably from me being a dumbass and driving with the ebrake engaged. Otherwise it hasn’t needed anything but oil changes.

It’s nice to drive, not too big for just daily tooling around but not a mini truck, gets around 18mpg consistently, and tows my 3k+ pound boat with ease. The only thing I can compare it to is my father in law has an F150 with one of the V8’s, 4.6 I think and my truck tows our boats way better than his torque-less wonder. IIRC the Tacoma’s a little smaller and less powerful, and you’re probably going to pay a decent amount more for a Toyota with the same trim.

I paid like $24k for my bare bones Xterra in 2007. If you’ve found a loaded Frontier for $22k that sounds like a good deal.

It’s a solid truck. If you like it and it meets your needs I wouldn’t hesitate to grab it.

Thanks for the input, I’m going to go test drive them tomorrow most likely. I know they have 0% financing on 2012 models, not sure what they’re doing for 2011 models.

They’ll most likely extend the 0% to 2011 models as well. They need them off the lot asap.