8========>((What do you guys think of))<========8

The 2001 to 2004 Nissan Frontiers?

I didn’t really get any interest in my Jetta, so I’m thinking about putting it up on ebay. I really should replace it with something more useful for doing the home owner thing. You can get some pretty smoking deals on these things, especially if you get a 4 cylinder non-4 door. I found a pretty good deal on a 4 door 6 cylinder with the 6 foot bed, which would be ideal.

I think the 6 cylinders have timing belts. Any idea how hard that is to do. The one I’m looking at has 80k and no service history. :ohnoes:

Know of any other common problems? General thoughts, opinions?

i had a 02 frontier:
crew cab
long bed
auto

review:
nice truck way under power.

my buddy has an 02 i believe supercharged crew cab long bed auto…i thought it was a nice truck…if it does have a timing belt which i think it does they are not bad gto do at all…alot of room…i suggest trying to find a SC one they are pretty nice

i have a v6 xterra, about 170hp. i suspect the frontier has the same motor. its underpowered, so get a supercharged on and u will enjoy it better.

why a pick-up

I’ve been a home owner for over a year now and I’m getting really sick of having to borrow a car every time I need to buy/move/borrow something larger than a computer monitor.

For examples:

-During the October storm I went to home depot, picked up a 12VDC sump pump, battery, and some PVC to plumb it in. Went back to the Jetta in a hurry, folded down the seats, threw in the 10’ PVC pipe, and slammed the trunk shut just to find out that my car is 9’ 11 3/4" long. Progressive bought me a new windshield.

-My future step-father-in-law gave me his old patio table, which I’m excited to have. It’s still at his house because I have no way to get it home.

-My fiance gave me an air hockey table for Christmas. I had to have a friend drop it off.

-My parents gave me a table saw for Christmas. It’s sitting in their basement in Rochester until the next time they come up with their minivan.

-I want to build some work benches, but I have no way of getting plywood.

-Everytime I do some drywalling, I’m the guy in the aisle with a utility knife scoring and folding the sheets into 3rds so that I can fit them in my car.

I might have to scratch the Frontier idea. My fiance’s mother is a safety Nazi and it’s worn off on me. The Frontiers don’t do so well in crash tests.

Newer Ford Rangers can be had for dirt cheap. A Supercab Ford Ranger might work nicely. The only person that ever rides in the back with any regularity is my dog, so as long as there’s some form of a door for her that’s all I really need. :slight_smile: Some of the newer ones are decent looking. (My fiance doesn’t allow “hick” trucks.) Thoughts?

People always overlook minivans as gear haulers. Most are designed to haul 8’ x 4’ sheets laying flat with all seats out.

Quest with a VQ35 240hp/242tq
Honda Odyssey 255hp/250tq and out autocrossed a Porche in a GRM article…
Town&Country with AWD 215hp/245tq
Toyota Seina w/ AWD 230hp/242tq

If you are not towing a minivan is the way to go IMO unless you are insecure about yourself and need a vehicle to define your self image.

Minivan would no doubt be the best for my needs. They can hold way more than any SUV or pickup. However, at this point in my life I would rather carry each sheet home than own a minivan.

I lol’d, and I feel the same way. I guess I’m insecure in my manhood. Oh well, I guess it has nothing to do with the fact that if I’m going to spend 15-20k on a vehicle part of my decision is based on buying something I LIKE.

My grandfather has an 04 frontier quad cab. It’s a nice truck, loaded with the V6, but it’s pretty underpowered. More than enough for him, but I find it slow.

I had a supercab ranger before my Expedition and with the 4.0 V6 and 2wd that thing was a rocket for a pickup. Adding 4wd (a must in a small truck if you want to get around in the snow IMHO) I doubt would slow it down much. But, the 1/2 doors were not very handy. They were ok if you had lots of room, but in a parking lot with both doors open you basically create a tiny cubicle, making loading people, or stuff from a cart, a real PITA. You will use that extended cab space a lot, probably more than the bed, so keep that in mind.

Being a homeowner I loved having the pickup, but the SUV does a real good job with large stuff too. There has only been one home depot trip where I needed to rent their truck, and that was when I bought a monster side by side fridge that even the home depot guys couldn’t believe wouldn’t fit in an Expedition. Had I removed it from the box it would have gone, but I didn’t want to risk it to save the $20 truck rental.

Having owned both I’m 95% sure I’ll go with another SUV when I replace the Expedition. Probably something closer to Ford Explorer size though, with a fold flat 3rd row.

Haha yeah it’s foolish, but I just can’t rock a minivan.

The SUV idea’s not a bad one. I just really want a standard transmission, so the choices are slim. It wouldn’t be my first pickup so I know I’d “like” it. My first was a 1992 F150 XLT. Regular cab, 8’ bed, 300ci I6. Really nice to drive, awful to own. 14mpg with the wind at my back. Oil pan that leaked like a sieve. And all I did was drive 20k a year with no income between UB and Fredonia getting owned by gas when it was only $1.50/gallong. Thank God I sold that when I did. Never should have bought it. Now that I need a truck, I own a Jetta. :bloated:

I should probably get a 4 cylinder for the better gas mileage, but I’m only driving like 6-8k a year these days so whatever. The 4.0 Ranger would be fun, but if I end up with a slow truck so what. It’s a truck. :gotme: I don’t think I would buy a 3.0. All the power of a 4 cylinder without that pesky fuel economy?

I’ve got all the pics ready to go, so I think I’ll throw the Jetta up on Ebay and see if it’ll sell for what’s left on the loan. I’m going to be gone Jan 2-7 so I’ll probably wait till I get back.

Finding a used manual trans SUV is REALLY going to limit your options. At the same time though, driving a manual SUV really isn’t going to be as engaging as it sounds, especially coming from your Jetta. Just go automatic and be done with it because no matter what driving an SUV, at least a Home Depot Hauler type, isn’t going to be sporting.

Yeah. Accepting an automatic would open up a whole new world of shitty domestics…

Toyota Tacoma, or T100

Jetta goes on Ebay Friday. If it sells then I’ll probably be in the market for a large-ish SUV. A pickup would be nice, but an SUV makes more sense. Chevy Trailblazer (preferrably EXT with the 3rd row seating) or a Ford Explorer looks pretty good. Good safety ratings, fairly reliable, cheap. The Eddie Bauer edition with leather seats and the modular 4.6 would be very nice. :smiley:

Anybody know if either of these can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood/drywall?

Doubt it. My Expedition just barely does.