Nitrogen in your tires.

I’m in my lab listening to el presidente and the CEO talking with a potential customer about supplying them with nitrogen generators for tire filling. I can’t help but question the real benefit of filling your tires with 99% nitrogen rather than 78% nitrogen, which is “air.” It seems like a gimmick. What do you guys think? Is there really a benefit from filling your tires with pure nitrogen?

From a tire website

Why use Nitrogen?

Less inflation pressure loss
Reduced wheel corrosion
Prevents inner-liner rubber deterioration by oxidation
Tires run cooler
Increases tread life
Increases fuel mileage
<LI>Helps prevent uneven wear

Oxygen in compressed air permeates through the wall of the tire, thus reducing the tire’s inflation pressure. During it’s journey through the tire wall, oxygen oxidizes the rubber compounds in the tire, causing under-inflation and deterioration of the rubber . Dry nitrogen will maintain proper inflation pressure and will prevent auto-ignition, will not corrode rims, extends valve core life, and will help the tire to run cooler.

not worth it, imho, maybe if you are a hardcore racer…

F1 CARS…YES
STREET CARS… NO

It’s a gimmick for automotive shops.

Bottom line, Nitrogen is more stable (no moisture either) which has little effect on the change in pressure within the tire due to changing temperatures. In F1 cars…when the air pressure is monitored in tenths of a psi… it’s more crucial.

its a gimmick for dunn tire, i dont know many other places that have it

the gimmick is that nitrogen does not condense while air does, however, the point is that after say…30 seconds of driving, your tires heat up to the point where the air goes back into your tires…

nitrogen saves you driving on underinflated tires for a solid 30 seconds…

I don’t exactly agree with the wording, but you are right.

What the hell does Dunn charge for the nitrogen refilling? I am curious as to how much they are ripping people off for.

P.S. The cool people say that they have Nitro in their tires.

I think it’s like 20 bucks for all 4. I guess in theory it could have some benefits, but you know what they say: Theory & Theology. They both come from the same latin root and both by defenition require an act of faith.

I tend to think the same as you all in that it’s a gimmick. Oh well, it’s not my job to decide whether the application is worthwhile. I’ll design the generator and let them do the selling.

they sell it at my work, i would never pay for it but people buy it.

Considering that 80% of the earth’s atmosphere is nitrogen, I’m thinking you’re getting ripped off.

I ran with Nitro in my Celica tires, and in the Evo.

My Evo is an F1 car too, only with 4-doors.

Was that blue Celica yours? That was a nice car.

yea. i shouldnt say goes back in, but it uncondenses back into air from water…

Start filling your tires with 99% hydrogen :tup:

Drive through hot coals afterwards, gas mileage saver gaurenteed.

You would be correct, it was mine…

And Hey, Thanks!

Did you see Mythbusters?
I am filling mine with helium!

haha

i dunno, given that your rims aren’t corroding and seal well

i check my tires like once a month just to correct for a discrepancy of like no more than 3psi

yeah, good race car idea, but nothing i’d pay money for :gotme: