Nitrogen Tires

I’ve been researching it. and it looks very good.

I’m gonna take my car to Costco this weekend, and have them purge the air out, and fill with Nitrogen, i believe it costs about $40.

Is anyone else running nitrogen in their tires???

i did because the guy that changed my summer wheels and tires offered… i told them i didn’t want it but asked about it… came back and he said they filled them for free…

i have nothing to really report… my tires are still inflated :slight_smile: … it doesn’t ‘get better gas milage’ or ‘have a better ride’ though… at least not a car with a suspension and performance parts.

That is the stupidest thing Ive every heard of for cars…Now unless said tire is attached to an airplane thats a different story.

the air we breathe is about 78% nitrogen…

I see scam, even though they say “There’s less fluctuation with temperatures and a more consistent ride quality”

I’ve talked to a guy thats shooting for 240mph at bonneville. His dicussion about what gas to fill the tires with, with an engineer at goodyear netted this: The fluxuation you get with tire pressures is due to the moisture in compressed air. Nitrogen is inherently dry because the manufacture it that way. Dried compressed air give the same benifits as nitrogen.

think it is ripoff. it is not that hard to chekc the air every so often and keep tires at optimal pressure.

x2
its just like expensive bottled water…

I fill my front tires with helium…every time I pull out I pull the front wheels about 6 inches.

Nitrogen is pointless in an automotive appication unless your car is going to see over 30,000 feet.

Who is moving my threads???

i posted this in On-Topic, because it is a “Serious Discussion about Automobiles”

Unless the rim has 2 valve stems the tire will never be 100% nitrogen. That alone seems to negate any potential positive effects. How much air is still left, I don’t know, but to me it just shows that there will be some fluctuation, just less than air alone I guess.

Um no…There is only one valve on an aircraft tire thats all you need

I know this is on the verge of being a really retared argument, but I will bet you that there is not 100% nitrogen in that aircraft tire. Does it matter that oxygen is in there with the nitrogen? I guess not, I will defer to you on that I have no idea about any of that.

And Im a hundred percent positive that there is oxygen present in the tire. There is no way of getting all the air out of the tire to replace it. Im just stating that putting nitrogen in a automotive tire is pointless…Btw im not trying to make this a retarded argument.

I mix my Anti-Freeze 50/50 with Fiji water, what.

that’s pretty funny.

like i said, i didnt want to pay for it and even though i ‘got it’ i’m not all that sure wtf the big deal is…

Fiji bitch that shit sucks use aquafina FTW!! haha now this would be a retard argument

i work for a tire shop and like i tell all of our customers if it was so great why dont manufacturers use it from the factory, to think they spend thousands if not millions to tell you what psi to run dont you think if nitrogen was better they would have atleast tried it, and like everyone else says it is not 100% nitrogen so there is still contaminates in it

there are a few benifits to it but unless you are traveling over 200 mph for a long period of time you will never reach the true potential of the nitrogen

and tell you what you come to my work on sunday give me 20 bucks and ill put air at the correct psi for you and you just saved yourself 20 bucks and will achieve the same outcome

p.s. i dont know if you heard of it but they make this electric supercharger and it makes like another 100 hp and it only cost 50 bucks:bsflag:

not trying to be a dick but dont listen to everything you hear:blue:

Waste of money on a street car. Some roadracers use it to help keep tire pressures more stable.

well most electric superchargers dont work…
However!.. The Thomas Knight electric supercharger does… which surprises me…
http://www.boosthead.com/home.php
but are pricey, and for the cost you could just make a turbo kit and it would be more effective.
would be something neat and different to do tho… i see dyno’s of cars improving them close to 100whp and over…

Nissan Altima baselined at a measly 115 whp.
At 5 psi, the ESC pushed output to 177 whp.
at 8 psi peak power jumped to 208 whp. :eek:

I seen a video of a civic being dyno’d, they put a leaf blows onto the intake hose and made around 10whp more… :rofl: