nother n00bie question

ok i have a dell 3200 POS
it has 2 hds in it 1 has 20 gigs the other has 60 and im almost up memory wise
how can i add another HD to this?
do all internal HD’s connect via that ide ribbon thing with a plug in it?
if so can i still keep both HD’s and get an ide ribbon with more connectors to it?
also what kind of HD do i need?
ata/10 or 100 or whatever? how do you figure this stuff out?
:frowning: i want to upgrade and get another HD but i dunnno where to begin.

HOLY CRAP… 80GB! WOOT!

Anyways… With that kind of a computer, the hd’s arent going to matter much as far as speed. Just get some cheap one, it should be fine. Your going to need a ATA hd, ata 100 or 133 would work, it dosent matter. Basically, you can get just about ANY hd as long as it dosent say SATA on it. And no, cant have more than 2hd’s on your comp. Your going to need to swap out the 20gb one and transfer the files…

HD’s are cheap as hell, just get a 250 or something :wink:

You can have more than 2 hdd’s on your computer, you just need an ide pci controller, they’re pretty cheap I think. Finding room for the 3rd hdd might be tricky tho.

um…

1. if room is an issue… an external HD
  2. Lots of cases have room for 3 Hd’s
  3. probably better off just purchasing somehing like 300gb and your needs for HD will probably be fullfilled for a while. Remember to get the HD format that your computer supports
  4. PCI IDe controllers are like 10 bucks for two channels (potentially two more HD’s )
  5. soo many options its not even funny… Post what you intend to spend

price isn’t an option like i don’t care about how much it costs
this pc was the was most basic edition one dell sold it is my mothers
delll demension 3200 just using it to store files on and i ate up those hds
how do i tell what my pc has installed
Sata or ata or whatever?
and where would i hook up a pci cintroller?

EDIT: since its dells most basic edition there is a TON of room inside the tower, its almost empty actually except for all the shit it needs in
there to run thats about it. You can put a fridge mate pack of pepsi in there and still have room for desert.

Well… you CAN have more than two hd’s easy, but if he was asking what kind of hd he needed, one would assume just replacing a useless old 20gb hd with a new bigger one would be a better bet than relying on him to find and figgure out a controller, then having three hd’s to manage files on along with the added potential for failure…

Two is easier and about $10 cheaper :wink: Unless you REALLLY want that extra 20gb drive…

if price is no option go with an external…no mess no fuss.

Then when you decide to get some real m3g4hur7z for teh interwebs you wont have to fuck around.

how do i figure out which HDD i have and what i need though? thats the thing or will either one work?

EDIT i found this

if you only have one CD drive then you should be able to plug a 3rd HD in without changing anything

:tup:

definitely approve

I’ve had nothing but a horrible time with that

so i guess its external for me then.

yea i have 6 HDD’s in my computer 2 are IDE and 4 are SATA, plus one External one.

but finding room is a problem.

I have 16 fiber chanel drives sitting on my floor in my closet…

Anyone got more?

yea but if there on the floor there not in use, correct?

and what do you mean by fiber channel?