Novice Question

I hate asking these questions but I just got my license took the HVCC course and felt real comfortable with most stuff ( my tight slow “U” turns weren’t perfect). I’m now looking at bikes and I am totally lost. People say get a 250, others say go bigger cause you will get bored, some say hey control is up to the rider you could do a 600 if you wanted. Also what’s the riding difference between a 883 -1200 VTwin and a 600 4cyl. I’m just looking for some honest advice.I’d tell you my body type but to me just because Ur a large novice or a skinny novice shouldn’t change the bike size. I’m looking used and leaning towards sport bikes. I’ll tell you I like the Buell Firebolt XB12R and there’s a few locally used. OK enough of my talking can someone give me some basics? Thanks!

Cruisers have a lower center of gravity. Sport bikes are higher. A 600 sport bike will have plenty of power. You won’t get bored. If u like sport bikes, find yourself a nice F4i or zx6r/636. or something along those lines. Perfect starter bikes.

topic has been beaten like a dead horse, search

I have a Ninja 300 and I don’t regret getting it. Do I wish I had some more power sometimes? Sure. But after spending some time on my buddies CBR600, I’m very happy with my purchase. My bike is WAAAYYY more nimble/fun in the twisties. You can make that thing lean over with little to no work. It’s about as fast as your typical 250-275hp V6 car (like my Infiniti). At least, that’s what I feel.

Eventually I will upgrade to a 600 (not just for the power - I also have loved the sound of an inline 4 since I was little boy) but for the foreseeable future, my Ninja 300 is more than fine. I’ve got 2,600 miles on it in 5 weeks.

I personally wouldn’t get a 250…for the following reasons:

1. The Ninja 250 is not FI IIRC. FI is nice.
  2. The CBR250 looks like ****

If you want to start small, get the Ninja 300. It’s an AMAZING looking bike and fun/cheap too boot.

If I had to pick a 600 though, even though I have always loved the R6’s look, it’d likely be a newer CBR or a ZX6R.

Thanks

Cruiser twins are designed to have low end grunt, have large torque figures, lower redlines. 600cc i-4’s are tune for hp yields, low torque, high revving.

A 300 is not nimbler in the “twisties.” All in your head.

I’ve seen riders on a 250 make 600s and even 1000s look slow on a track. Stick with a small bike and IF you can max that out go to a 600. And by max it out I don’t mean top speed, I’m talking dragging elbow in a turn and then feel the need for more. Most riders THINK they have maxed out a small bike yet have barely even scratched the surface of what that bike is capable of.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

It absolutely is. That’s one of the main benefits of a small bike. Smaller/thinner tires (removes rotating mass making it easier to lean), lighter weight = far less force needed on the bars to make it lean (goes hand in hand with smaller bike/smaller tire). It’s physics 101.

I had to put a lot more force on the 600 to make it go around a traffic circle than I would need on my 300. Fact. I did the same circle back to back (the one near UAlbany/Nano).

I’m no pro at riding a bike, but come on…think about it at least.

:gtfo

OP, the other benefits are lower insurance, better MPG, etc. for smaller bikes like the 300.

False. It just feels like its easier because it has a Briggs and Stratton for an engine.

There’s a couple used 300’s on Craig’s list I’m looking at. I like the fact that they are fuell injected and ABS. I also like that they don’t look cheap like the 250’s. I was letting the pride side make decisions instead of my head.

Truth, it’s all in the rider. I was blowing past GSRX 1k’s and a Ducati 1199R in on the track like they were standing still.

It’s all in the rider, also I’ve been on the 250 I can “quick flick” it faster than my R6. I would assume it’s the smaller profile tires that come into play even my scooter when it ran was a quick little turner.

Saw a Ninja 300 on the highway today and it looked damn good! Just saying.

They are definitely nimbler. Anyone who has ever rode one will tell you they are. They are about 30-80lbs lighter than most 600’s, shorter wheelbase, skinnier tires, less centrifugal force, etc.

It’s a gorgeous bike for sure. That’s why I bought it. I only like ultra modern looking bikes (in the Street/Sport/SS segment). The old 250’s or anything like that, FUGLY. This looks like an R6 mixed with a bit of all of the other bikes. Very happy with my purchase. With the exhaust and the 15t sprocket on the front, it’s a great little bike and I highly recommend it to the OP.

I’ve been asked if it’s the new 600 like 8 times…when I tell people it’s a 300 they are shocked.

Told one guy today I had a Ninja and he’s like:

Him: 1000?
Me: No
Him: 600?
Me: No
Him: dumbfounded look
Me: 300
Him: Oh wow. That looks awesome for a 300!

Go check one out OP! You might not find many 2013’s left, but 2014’s should be right around the corner.

http://lunatique.smugmug.com/Other/smilies/i-ZNpMX27/0/O/clapping.gif
Well said and in my opinion very good advise.

Buying a racing bike with a 250cc engine is like buying a Corvette with a 2.2 liter n/a 4 cyl.

A racing bike is not about straight line speed.

There are videos of riders on 250’s beating out liter bikes on the track.

The amount of corner speed a lightweight bike can carry is far better than larger bikes… this is why some tracks with a lot of twisties is actually better to have a smaller bike.

Cars don’t play any role here.

True. 250’s are cheaper, too.

They just don’t seem comfortable lol. I had a 600 and a 1000, both Suzukis. Never again.

Usually they are more comfortable than SS and SBK’s because they are more upright … except … it is tighter so you do feel more cramped on the bike.

Plenty of times when I’m riding on the highway thinking to myself, ‘Damn I wish I was on a cruiser right now’ :lol

I’m 5’11" and I think I fit fine on my 300. No issues feeling too cramped, etc.