NYIRP today 9/27/06

shitty…he should look at a solid iron spec 5 and stop fuckin around… its worked like a cupcake for me, and its not as expensive as the fancy twin plate clutches. im not sure if they make em for evo’s tho

edit: they are rated at 1200 tq, and u can beat the hell outa it, its still gona hold

They do. The tilton requires planned maintenance so it doens’t make as much sense for streetability. The good part is you can plan for it rather than going to an event and not being able to compete and wasting tons of time and money in the process. It’s a tossup.

Is joe’s STi the one with teh 6 defi gauges in it, and the front mount?

–mark

Yay :smiley:

whats the rule on roll cage? is it still 11.499 and lower needs a cage and other stuff?

yup

Joe has the white one, the one with the 6 defi’s is Ramone

Has he run it yet? I’m curious to see how fast that car is. It looked gorgeous.

–mark

my best slip from the nite

R/T 1.006
60’ 2.063
330 5.322
1/8 7.898
MPH 97.40
1000 10.096
1/4 11.931
MPH 121.34

Yeah, your front half is 6 MPH faster then me, but yoru backhalf is only 1 MPH improvement. If you string that gear out longer, you’ll be way frekin faster. 97 is moving in the 1/8th!

–mark

http://www.specclutch.com/

they make it for evos. spec 5 is rated at 675 tq on the evo. they say its for the strip only, but spec goes way OVERBOARD on the drivability descriptions. TONS of guys use it on the street. mine squeeled for a couple hundred miles, but now its fine. grabs like a mofo.

i used spec stage 4 on my old deuce and it gripped fine

but i opted to upgrade to a tilton…much more expensive, but well worth it. plus the fact that tilton will rebuild the clutch for you EVERY YEAR for about a hundred bucks is outstanding…

might be worth checking into that quartermaster with the hydraulic throwout… not sure on the maintenance/cost though.

Nope, I only have 3 Defi’s and a Front Mount. But the STi with the 6 Defi’s has a 3in Fp green like me.

I hate spec clutches, My car went through 2 or 3 of them now.

And the car was N/A then!

–mark

alot of people say they dont like them…but when we find out they installed them incorrectly, we find out why. i am NOT saying you installed it incorrectly, just that its a common problem and reason. i have had two and they held and drove good. firehawk853 and jeeves both have a 4+ and they love them. Jeeves learn how to drive stick on his brand new 4+ (advertised as a strip only clutch) in a matter of hrs. i have the spec 5 (adveritised as EXTREME strip only applications, and the car drives rather easy in stop and go.)

just my input.

ive also driven badazz’s mcloed twin disk. very nice and easy to drive, and holds alot. nice clutch, no doubt. worth the extra money?, not imo.

muscle50s clutch, what ever that one is, my leg muscles doubled in size after pushing that one in :lol:

^^^

No offense taken, but i could go on my other forum and get about 20 people that would also agree they have had bad experiences with spec. Maybe they are made better for some cars then others.

–mark

I had the same discussion with Freek when he was here. Spec seems to be a great name for domestics, but not so much for sport compact/imports. We have had nothing but terrible experiences with Spec clutches (always customer provided.)

understood…:tup:

from my experiences spec was pretty good with the nissan crowd, not sure if thats still true or not.