NYSpeeds Financial Advisors...

dinkytown.net FTW.

bankrate.com has ALOT of calculators that I use frequently

Im about the same age as you in a similar situation. I have alot of the same feelings as far as wanting a nicer/newer car, but at the same time I see my friend who has a $300 a month payment and there is no way I would want to be tied down to that all thru school.

Even though I buy alot of shit for my 240, my total investment is still under 5k. It might not be the newest car or the best platform for a track car, its still fun for what it is and gives me a relativly cheap DD for the summer.

Its very interesting to see how much money you can really have when you live cheaply. the same friend I have with the $300 car payment works full time for ~$10/hr and I would say I have just as much spending money as him making $120 a week.

And as far as the GTI being bad in the snow? I see people all the time in buff state parking lots with rusted out 92 tercels with completetly bald tires and they seem to get around just fine. It kind of seems like you are using that as an excuse to justify the evo

make more money.

Tercels are tanks in the snow. except when you are going 45 around a bend and you end up in a field. luckly your friend with a jeep is smoking a blunt around the corner.

VOTE FOR BEST POST ON THIS WEBSITE BY A 17-22 YR OLD.

:frowning:

in all honesty…your GTi is a really nice car for someone your age and your means. leave the GTi alone, and drive it daily and be happy. Finish school, then consider a second car/project car. If you keep up routine maintenance on the GTi it will be a very reliable DD, while still being pretty. as far as it being bad in the snow get some TDi wheels/steelies with good snow tires. Save every bit of money you can in the bank. If you had this extra money you said you have, you would not bail on the turbo e30.

unless you are able to put down $10gs and still have $10gs in the bank, DONT DO IT. especially because you are negative on the gti. best thing to do at this point is pay down the gti as much as possible and sell it privately. With your negative equity, amount of money available, and price of the new car, your payment is going to double, no matter what, even if you put your whole $9500 down. youre fucked either way, dont do it.

or i promise, you’re going to fuck yourself REALLY REALLY HARD.

if he wants an awd car, he should buy a 2.5rs or something. My girlfriend does ~40 miles to work and back everyday with a 93 sentra se-r on lowering springs. The BS about it being crappy in the winter, is just retarded justification.

Stop worrying about the car that you drive. Its not worth it, it is just a means of transportation.

GO HAVE FUN WITH YOUR FRIENDS!!! get laid, do drugs, drink, and make bad decisions. thats what being a teenager is about. you have the rest of your life to spend all your extra cash on expensive hobbies.

By december my gti will be paid off, on top of that 2k down, all on a 20k car. I’m not seeing how all of this is making 550 a month payments.

By this time next year it will have 150k on it. It’s not going to be worth shit soon IMO

if you take car of it properly, it will then cost you nothing but insurance to own and you will be financially free as you SHOULD be at your age.

because an evo is $30k+ which, even if you have EXCELLENT credit, is going to me a minimum of $550+ a month, easy.

even if you went broke to pay off your car, and they gave you 7gs toward it, you’re still looking at a minimum of $25000 after taxes and bullshit, which is where the minimum of $550/mth comes from.

like I said, pay off your car completely, save up at least $7500 again, then put all that down, and your gti… and you’re STILL gonna be around $275-$300/mth, but thats better than almost 600.

I’m looking at a used evo…
My payments are 300/month now and I can more than handle it.

with 150k on the clock and in good condition, kbb is telling me that its only worth ~5k on a trade in: http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?VehicleClass=UsedCar&ManufacturerId=50&YearId=2002&WebCategoryId=41&VehicleId=4906&PriceType=Trade-In&ModelId=305&Mileage=150000&SelectionHistory=4906|22756|14226|0|0|&Condition=Good&QuizConditions=

It’s got 90 on it now.

so reguardless, you’re still trying to buy a car thats over $20k, therefore your payments will be high. You’re losing your bank either way, whether you use it for a down payment (dumb) or to pay off the gti and sell it privately (brilliant, more$$$) and you’re going to need to come up with more money or cars to put down to keep the payment low.

trust me I went from a $272 pymnt to a $488 before and I was in fact handling it just fine… but it sucked ass.

and you said by this time next year it will have 150k on it

edit: wait wait wait, so it has 90k on it now, and you think that in one year your gonna tack on another 60k? so basically what I am hearing are more and more excuses as to why you shouldn’t keep it? Do you realize how stupid your resoning is yet?

i just have a question, you mentioned when you gave up on the e30 that you wanted to have fun and go out with your friends and stuff. Is that spending money factored in when you say you can save 9500 bucks up for your car? Have you gotten an insurance estimate on the Evo yet? Factored in high maintenance costs?

I’m not trying to be a dick, I just don’t understand this…

20k-7000 trade in-2k down=11k before taxes.
11k before taxes was where I sat on my gti before tax.

Yes it’s factored in.
Insurance means nothing to me, both my parents and sister have been working for our insurance company for a looooooong time.