OBD II scanners

How good are the $200 or $140 HF ones?

I was thinking about buying one eventually.

On the more expensive ones they have live data.
How much data? Is it good enough that I would be able to see
how well a car is running, or how poorly for that matter?

Any recommendations?

Why not get a laptop one… they are much more flexible…

ive had good use recently with the Auto Enginuity Tool…

I have not done much serching… who makes and sells laptop cables.

I was thinking that would me much more useful, but I had not come across one yet.

Autotap…
Is that the one you are referring to?

any open source solutions that will work with a cheap ass 10 dollar cable?

Some of the setups with software are 300+ bucks…

I have both laptop scanner/tuner and small OBDII diagnostic tool. The OBDII tool is nice and easy to use and very portable. The laptop one I only use when i’m tuning. The OBDII tool I just have to plug in OBDII cable and turn it on. The laptop I have to open, turn on, run program, plug in OBDII cable, plug in USB cable, make sure its charged or use car charger, place on seat and make sure its not all over the place when I drive.

If you are looking for just a scanner I have one of these in my car all the time-
http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

i have both lap top and snap on versions, love the snap on for its compatability with obd II and I, but the lap top version is nice because your able to program, and change settings for fuel and much more.

My immediate requirements are for my Jetta and my future requirements would be
to make sure my cav is behaving.
I don’t have a ton of money to spend so I would like to get as much bang for the buck as I can. If I can use it to fix then sell my car, then I can justify the more expensive laptop version.

I doubt any low cost unit ($200) would let me change anything.

I have an Autotap, and strongly recommend it.

Let me throw a suggestion on there. If you were to purchase a scan tool make sure it is the OTC compatible type. I say this in regards to inspection stuff. I have used snap on modis that has shown that some drive cycles were not set, when in fact they were. I plugged my otc in and it showed they were set. I had a buddy bring over a car he was having trouble setting monitors on (he was using a modis), he had alot of time into the car and his modis kept saying they were not set. My otc said they were, and the inspection machine also says they were. fyi the state inspection machine uses otc based equiptment.

How would I know if it’s OTC compatible?

Just found out that Autotap has a no hassle 30-day return policy :slight_smile: