Oh no, no need for congressional oversight

New Presidential Memorandum Permits Intelligence Director To Authorize Telcos To Lie Without Violating Securities Law

Ordinarily, a company that conceals their transactions and activities from the public would violate securities law. But an presidential memorandum signed by the President on May 5 allows the Director of National Intelligence, John Negroponte, to authorize a company to conceal activities related to national security. (See 15 U.S.C. 78m(b)(3)(A))

w.

t.

f.

Gotta love this administration. Your rights sucked right out from under you…

all i care about is my right to give nipple twisters to anyone reinstated.

reinstated?

:violin:

are you serious?

f the goverment, I’m not paying taxes lol

Of course he’s serious. George Bush could rape his girlfriend and he’d still blame the “Dems” for it.

Wow, even I think this is messed up.

But, it came from Joe, so I’m not taking it too seriously until I see the story in it’s full context.

I saw it posted elsewhere, I’ll post a link when I see one

:tdown:

you really don’t think do you?

Well, you can read the whole thing here:

http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/documents/usc/ttl15/ch2B/sec78m.html

But I’ve been writing code for 8 hours at my regular job, plus 3 hours tonight doing my consulting gig, so there is no way I’m shifting my brain into lawyer mode to decipher that.

EDIT:
Joe, you may want to check your source. Note the date at the top of that link…
U.S. Code as of: 01/26/1998

Looks like this might be the work of your hero Clinton.

(3)(A) With respect to matters concerning the national security
of the United States, no duty or liability under paragraph (2) of
this subsection shall be imposed upon any person acting in
cooperation with the head of any Federal department or agency
responsible for such matters if such act in cooperation with such
head of a department or agency was done upon the specific, written
directive of the head of such department or agency pursuant to
Presidential authority to issue such directives. Each directive
issued under this paragraph shall set forth the specific facts and
circumstances with respect to which the provisions of this
paragraph are to be invoked.
Each such directive shall, unless
renewed in writing, expire one year after the date of issuance.

Come on now, try harder…Oh and Jay, Sub. b(3)(a) seems circa 77…(although I could be mis-reading the amendment notes) But that certainly wasn’t drafted in 98 :wink:

do me a favor. go outside and fucking end yourself.

you honestly dont think at all do you. you are a fuckign moron. open a fucking book sometime.

:violin:

So he renewed something that has been on the books since 77? OMG, impeach the motherfucker right now.

Better yet, call in Jack Bauer and just have him shot.

Actually, it sounds like you’re just as ignorant for blindly believing something without researching it first, just because it fit your point of view. So do us all a favor, go end Jeg, then end yourself. Minus two morons, a +1 for the planet.

He didn’t renew anything, he gave cover to the companies by using a provision…which would be fine, if we had congressional oversight monitoring the program…But since the NSA denys the justice department security clearence they can’t be investigated. This memo, now shields any information comming out as a result of civil litigation brought against the phone companies.

I take back saying he didn’t renew anything, he may have been drafting these memos for the last 3 years this program has been going on