OpenDNS

Anyone use this? I just heard about it today and am trying it out… So far so good.

http://www.opendns.com/

yeah its a bit speedier than the tw resolver.

Anything is more reliable than their dns server.

If you run a business, you can put your business image into the opendns search, so it makes it look more professsional.

Interesting, I’ll give it a shot, its also 50ms faster on a ping.

been using it for a few months (after TW moved in and got all fucked up). i love it. nice and speedy

just a quick bump here.

TW’s dns server is down again, and I just switched my lappy to the open dns servers, and was able to get on the net.

I’m pretty happy with it, fast and quick DNS, the best part is if you type nyspeed.co and miss the m it’ll fix it for you.

overmyhead

what exactly does this do? :stuck_out_tongue:

or

http://www.opendns.com/what/dns.php

Read the website.
In short when you try to visit a website, for example, nyspeed, you send a request to a DNS server to find out the ip address of www.nyspeed.com, the DNS server then sends back the ip address, and then you send a request to that ip address for the website.

As mentioned in a previous post these DNS servers have better response times which means you can access web pages quicker. They also have error correction and I assume some other features that I am missing.

I just edit my hosts file…:slight_smile:

oh ok… never was a very big networking guru (shits too complicated), interesting read though

basically it speeds it up since you don’t have to connect to a name server… it by passes that goes right to the ip…

really? since I’ve been having trouble getting torrents to work with DSL (I believe verizon has measures in place to limit it), could this somehow work to bypass them? Sounds like it may be able to in theory atleast

He is talking about his hosts file rather than OpenDNS… But no, it won’t fix your torrents, host names aren’t used IIRC. Editing your host file should be fine for most sites, until the ip changes/drops/whatever.

oh, ok thanks