Opinions on high mileage BMW E36?

Would you buy a high milage > 150K e36 if it was in good visual/mechanical condition?

need more info…

year
engine
tranny
maintenance

Do you need it to be reliable daily/can you afford to drop a lot of money on it if something big breaks?

INFO:

It is a 1992 with 176k miles. It is in pretty good condition. The exterior is very good and the interior could use a little rehab (very little is actually needed). Anyway, heres there important stuff:

The good:
-The car drives excellent
-very solid
-rock solid idle
-I just had the valves cleaned and adjusted
-clutch is solid
-new windshield (replaced 7/5)
-excellent paint
-remus exhaust
-lowered (not sure what springs)
-new bilsteins in back and bmw motorsports shocks up front
-m3 kit (looks like a debadged m3)
-very good life on tires
-clear corners up front
-ac blows cold
-just changed oil with mobil 1 15,000 mile synthetic
-dealer replaced water pump in Feb

The not so good:
-The leather on the interior of the door panels has come separated from the door panel. I can send pics. It is a purely cosmetic flaw, and new door panels are all over ebay, I just haven’t felt the need to replace them. Its not the worst I’ve seen.
-Some chips and such in the front bumper, again not too bad
-sunroof off track, it does not leak or anything, I just disconnected the motor and leave it in closed
-headliner beginning to separate a little in the rear
-small dent in the front of the hood
-sm rock chip in hood
-tint is beginning to peel a little on front windows
-Alpine alarm but it doesn’t work very well currently
-leather is worn in places in interior
-hole in carpet under front of driver’s seat

Asking $6500

Yes…mileage is relative anyway…you could have a car with 100k easy one owner maintained miles that runs great and a 100k beat up non maintained shit box. Have a mechanic look at it…always have 2g budgeted for any repair big or small and you will be fine. BUT remember high miles = low price :slight_smile:

Umm, $6500 for an average 14 year old bimmer with 176k miles… That’s modded… :gtfo:

Why are you even considering this when examples like thisaren’t uncommon? Do the exhaust, springs, and visual mods mean that much to you?

I don’t get it. :gotme:

how are the autos in the 90s-era 3-series?

$6500?! id pass.

$6500 is pretty nuts for a '92 with 176k. I’ve got a '91 e34 with 257k if you’re interested :stuck_out_tongue:

:tdown:

I would pass for that price, if it was a couple grand cheaper maybe

I could never buy a car with that high of mileage…and not for that price

92=no vanos :frowning:

If you do buy it, I’ve got a Bridge in Brooklyn for sale that you can start saving for.

X…

shit, id sell my 1998.5 audi 2.8 quattro with 155k on it for 6k and my car is cherry all the way through

way too high of a price. 92’s also had rear subframe issues that was resolved in 93-94.

they suck. get a 5sp.

the first 2 production years also had bad t-stats and i believe there was something with the radiator deteriorating or something

this is too much money for an early e36. and non vanos isn’t necessarily a bad thing, less to go wrong. but if you want to throw in s52 cams 328i/is is the way to go

these motors have a timing chain, also, so less prone to breakage on the m50/52, unlike the m20 in which the timing belt was a bitchwhore

:tup: to hydraulic lifters though.

this is too much money for a run of the mill e36. my buddy just bought one with 175k with a new clutch, and a bunch of recent maintenance for 2400

keep searching

kk thanx all, gonna pass this up