Opinions on Home Theatre systems?

Well after 5yrs of service my stereo in my room finally took a dump. I just got a decent size tv so I figured I would go with a home theatre system to replace it.

Im a bit of an audiophile. Im looking for something in a 5:1 around 1000w of power.

Looking to spend between 300-450 bux. Doesnt have to be anything mind blowing just a good all around system.

Any opinions on brand to go with and to stay away from?

i used to be real big into the home audio stuff, just kinda lost interest. But I was looking into some home theatres for a friend and here are my favorites…

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-Home-Theater-System-HT-S790S/sem/rpsm/oid/150739/catOid/-13325/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-DVD-Home-Theater-System-HT-7000DH/sem/rpsm/oid/149745/catOid/-13325/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

just go to the store and have a listen… you can read specs all day, but you need to hear it and make your own opinion on the system.

I like the Onkyo but it says not available in stores :frowning:

i am a big fan of B and W and klipsch but they are big bux, the best thing to do is go to a store and listen, also take a cd that you would listen too all the time demo cds and dvd are made to make things sound good

onkyo/yamaha > *

I say go build your own and customize it to your perference.
I’ve built my own over the years,
2 Pioneer 700W receivers
Sony center, Floor tower, and rear speakers
12" Optimus Subwoofer
Sounds frickin amazing and loud as hell. Shakes nic nacs off the walls in the basement at 1/2 volume, and im on the top floor.

I do plan on going from 5.1 to 7.1 with digital outputs and inputs and optical with HDMI.

I was in the store at ross and there was one setup there… :dunno:

i have a nice sony system it sounds aewsome and is great when watching DVDs’ i leave it on all the time in surround sound mode and it sounds good. has a nice base tube thingy was about 300 or so at walmart last year.

Personally I wouldn’t buy Anything made by sony but thats just my opinion.

Check out av123.com they have some budget x series speakers that will blow almost any others away.

My setup

Onkyo 500? watt amp, connected fiber optic to my 42" Samsung DLP.
Klipsch Component speakers
Klipsch Powered Subwoofer
HDMI.DVI audio from laptop
Fiber Optic from DVD player
I actually play all my audio cd’s on the DVD player.
Just be sure whatever you get is compatable with your existing components optimum outputs

oh yea…stay away from retail end Klipsch products, they tend to be crap. Def go w/ atleast a 200 wt subwoofer. and yes sony does suck. Yamaha stuff seems to sound pretty good. my sister and brother in law have a yamaha system, but it doesnt’ compare to mine and they paid twice as much.

digital visions in wexford carries a lot of onkyo i believe.

onkyo at circuit city on mcknight is set up in the nice enclosed TV room they have on the side wall

x2 Go see Mike at Digital Visions.

I went with the Onkyo 790. Got it all hooked up in my room and I love it. The bass from the subwoofer sounds nice and clear.

Onkyo = ftw

sweet! Now I can get my check from onkyo for pushing their product

if youre not piecing it together… onkyo or sony dream series are great for smaller living rooms.

Just make sure the dvd player can do hd upconverting, or capable of 1080p, if you tv can. Although all upconverting ones are still good too 720p/1080i

Home theatre and home audio in general I stay away from Sony. Onkyo/Yamaha for recievers and Bose for the speakers. That’s what I have in my room, Onkyo 5 CD changer and Bose 301’s from a couple years ago, my father has a yamaha surround reciever and Bose acoustimass surround speakers all sound amazing. That’s kinda big money though…

www.crutchfield.com > everything else

I have worked in a repair shop and worked for a commercial/residential systems integration co and best advice I could give would be to stay away from denon. Not very reliable. I personally prefer Pioneer. I bought my home system back in 92 and have used it evey single day since then.
For dj’ing where reliability is more important. The only gear to never give me trouble is Pioneer. It’s not cheap but best stuff out there. It is the industry standard for all major clubs.

Bose make some great sounding speakers. I have seen bose come in for repair though. Buying speakers is like buying shoes. You gotta test them out to see which ones sound best to You.

I have an Onkyo 650W reciever, pair of Bose 301’s, and the rest the factory onkyo speakers, it will shake shit off the walls upstairs at a higher volume… I love the Onkyo reciever a lot. The Bose 301’s really help tho. I believe Sonys shit sucks and the Bose systems blow, I think the only good thing from Bose is their individual speakers.

My dad has a pair of Bose 601’s that he got when he first moved out of his parents house. He’s now in his mid 40’s with the same pair of speakers working perfectly. Like it was said though, you have to see what fits you. If you are looking for close to perfect frequency range and clear sound go with the bose, if you’re looking for more bass to shake shit around some other brands offer a bit more of that. Polk Audio is also a good brand to consider, I like their stuff also.