Opinions on WR400F

A buddy of mine just offered me his 2000 WR400F for $2k. Pro-Action suspension, YZ bend Renthals, new chain, new sprockets, new throttle and cables, new tires, street kit, YZF pipe, etc. He takes care of his stuff too.

I was never into Yamahas, and I was looking for opinions. Anyone hear anything bad about the WR? The most common I heard was that they are too loud. :greddy:

I know he didn’t have any issues with it while he owned it. Just looking for opinions. Is it worth it?

well the first modern gen WRs were good (of the 5-valve 4stokre 400s 98-00). they were alot tamer than the YZ but still fast. if its a 00 thats the last year of the 400. 01-02 were 426 which was a big improvement. i havent heard too much bad about the bikes. they are loud, but so is every other bike anymore. that bike has a great engine for the time, but the new ones are alot better.

I’ve ridden it w/ supermoto wheels (which I can buy as spares for cheap) and it has alot of torque and it comes in smooth.

I didn’t know if there were any reliability issues that could arise later. I know it’s super fun to ride, and I’m just going to woods ride it. I was going to get a CRF, but $$$.

well i dunno if u can sing it, but if u r just lookin for a versitile bike that can be woods ridden look in to a year or 2 old CRF250X. sure its alittle smaller than the 400 but its got better technology and would probably be more fun. its not like its gonna be slow. i dunno what your price range is, but atleast since its only a 250 the original prce tag is already like 1000 lower than a 400-450 would be.

I"ve not head anything bad about the WR’s either… only thing i’ve heard is that you better not put an aluminum rear sprocket on it… cuz the torque rips it up in a few days… dunno why that wouldnt be the case in the YZ, but that’s just what i’d read…
I’d “jew” him down a bit… and take it… all i do is trail riding anyhow, so i think the 400 would be a great bike… might not be exactly what you want… but if you have a low price range, then its not a bad idea

You think the price on the WR is worth it? I know that the technology has come a long way since 00.

The riding that we do around here is alot of woods (pipelines, tram roads, etc.) then usually end up at boney dumps and ride a few practice tracks.

I know a CRF450 would be a better bike, but I can’t swing $4000 for a dirt bike right now. Maybe in a few years. I’m building a new house. The WR keeps pulling me in because of the street kit, it was taken care of, etc.

I’m not planning on racing anymore. I haven’t raced for almost 10 years. Just want something good all around w/ usable power.

ya i’d say that 2g’s isnt too bad aslong as its in good shape. i wasnt really talkin about u getting a crf450f cause i figured it’d be too much but i was thinkin a crf250x. but they r r only 04 or 05s and up, so they might be too much too. the only other thing i can think of is just go with the yz250f, like an '02. it wont really be as setup for the woods but itll be nice and light, handle better and still have good power. should be able to get one at a decent price.

smokey, have you seen the new CRF250? w/ the dual exhuast … wtf is with that? buddy of mine that works at the bike shop said that the stock exhaust alone is over 1K… which is very hard to believe… but wtf?

ya i posted a thread awhile ago. i was really suprised that they did that. they gavea bunch of reasons why it helped, which is cool. but like u were sayin its so expensive to fix if u break it. and since there is one on each side now, u double the chance of smashing a silencer. still, i’d take that bike in a second.lol.

WR’s are real decent street trail bikes. Proboly the best in my opinion. If you are looking just for woods riding and ocational practice tracks I would go for a 250f.
The new honda 250f come stock with the duel exhaust. The idea is to place the center of gravity of the bike where it should be, in the center. I have not rode one yet but supposively the cornering is very impressive. It just takes the idea off of the street bike racers. They used to have exhaust on one side, then they went to both sides, and now the race bikes have them coming through the rear fender area. Basically improving the COG of the bike.
Now the stock replacement for the honda 250f is rediculously priced as any OEM part is. But the aftermarket companies are producing a single exhaust replacement as well as a duel exhaust replacement. Other advantages of the duel exhaust include a quieter bike and a couple HP.

I bought it last night. Went for a short ~30 mile ride on pipelines, tram roads, etc. It’s a super fun bike. I’m happy with it. It’s alot more balanced than I originally thought. Weight isn’t bad either.

Plus I still have his plate w/ current registration. Nice to road rash a mile or two then cut back into the woods. It’s really not legal because there’s no speedo or anything. Just headlight and turn signals.

when your tired of it, set the cam timing like the yz’s for more shits and giggles. the wr is detuned for smoother power.

I’ll have to keep that in mind. It feels right at home in the woods. I’m really happy with it.

sweetness. sounds like a good desicion to buy it then. ya u can get that thing pretty close to YZ specs, but the big yz 4strokes always were a bit on the abrupt side, so it may not be the best idea if u r doin nothin but tight woods riding