Supermoto Guru's, need help deciding on whether or not to buy a bike.

I’m extremely tempted to pull the trigger on this bike next week after I’m through with finals. Anything I should know, anything at all? Give me any info you think would be pertinent to my decision.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?112218-Yamaha-WR426F-Supermoto-STREET-LEGAL

Yamaha WR426F Supermoto STREET-LEGAL

Thinking about selling my supermoto to get something “more streetable”

For sale is 2001 WR426, with valid clean NC Street title. Title is on hand.

Anyways, Since I purchased this bike last year, I have added about 1000-1500miles. From what I was told this would mean the bike has a total of 6000-6500 miles. Engine is stock.

Bike has:
-Trail Tech X2 Head light, looks sick and is pictured.
-Has Works Connections all over the bike.
-Black Excel rims
-LED Blinkers, LED stoplight/taillight
-All free mods complete.
-ACEWell Computer
-White Brothers E-series Slip on. (sounds really good, and LOUD!)
-Supermoto Front fender
-Not-stock rear fender, (probably from a YZ, is pictured)
-Baja Designs Street Legal Kit
-Supermoto big front rotor
-Rear wave rotor
-Frame and swing arm powder coated black. (looks awesome, and pictured)

New:
-UFO Plastics Black Fork Sliders
-Acerbis Black Side Panels
-Front Brake Pads
-Axle Sliders
-Battery
-Fresh Oil and K&N Oil Filter
-Pro Taper Grips (not pictured, added 3/16/2011)

Also, bike comes with extra rear sprocket (47 tooth), trail tech computer, stock plastics, acerbis hand gaurds, Maxxis Supermotard rain tries, and probably more that I forgot.

Only known problems:
-Rear brake pressure switch doesn’t work. Planning on replacing. (All this means is the brake light doesn’t come on if only using rear brake)
-Needs new rear tire.

Anyways, here are pictures taken today:

FYI link requires login,

You have your license already? Gear?

Insurance shouldn’t be much of a problem for that thing.

Read the sticky in the forum.

Headlight is the same as mine on the DRZ, very very good for night riding.

Make sure it’s a model you can register for the street in NY, whether it comes with another state title or not, it could be an issue here, depending how it came factory.

If you’re doing it as a toy go for it, if you’re doing it to save money on things such as gas, don’t, financially you’ll go through tires much more often, ride it for 6 months at best pay two insurances and will mod the thing, so you won’t win.

You should definitely do it so I have a trails buddy. If Killabird get’s his, there are a million trails in VT, and if Hennessy gets his we can have all the fun in thee world on the SUMO’s.

Don’t expect to take this thing on long trips such as the city. It’s doable but it’s a compromise and will get tired after a while as typically the seats are not the most comfy things in the world.

If you’re not ever planning on taking it off road, I’d recommend just getting a street bike.

Don’t have license yet but this is too good of a deal to pass up, permit would come soon after. I have a moto helmet I use for Auto x, I’ll definitely buy more gear before i get on it. I’m not going to be a squid.

It will be bought purely as a toy. I was throwing the idea around to buy a Ninja 250r but this seems just as “safe” and more fun. Also, I don’t think I’d get bored of it after a year or two. I’m looking for something I can keep awhile.

Street only or going offroad too?

This won’t be safer by any means, because trust me you, you will turn into a 12 year old on a BMX bike and become a hooligan everywhere jumping curbs, going off the road, cutting corners in a traffic jam, etc :rofl

Take the MSF course, as it will get your license and can provide you with advice that could safe your life but it will be booked as it’s season already.

Planning on long touring or just local riding?

Krazykid should chime on a title issue as I haven’t deal with it but he knows a bit. The bike never came road legal from factory correct? Not familiar with the model but seems like a retrofit road legal bike.

Did you see this

I decided to keep to the bike.

I planned on just street but then I saw the picture of your drz on top of the hill across from the Nanotech complex :rofl

I didn’t know the BRC course filled up so fast. I’m going to check tomorrow to see the availability at HVCC.

I planned on just local riding and the occasional trek. Comfort isn’t really on the top of my list. I used to take my rsti, with no a/c, out driving for hours on end in high 90 degree weather. I’d come back with a drenched shirt and a smile on my face :lol

Ah shit. Is that in the thread? Fail on my part then. Guess that’s why I haven’t gotten a pm back yet.

Yeah it’s in that thread.

Course fills up quick and is usually a few months out for an open spot.

https://training.msf-usa.org/RES/street/enroll/streetintro.aspx

Sometimes the ACC frees up earlier than HVCC so if you travel you may get in sooner.

While moving, even in gear you will likely be more comfortable than in a car with no AC because of the air flow, especially with proper gear that will direct the flow all the way around the body.

Do you research on what model to buy seeing as many high maintenance race bikes require a tear down quite often, while machines build already for the street KTM and Husqy’s including are quite more tolerant of high miles between service intervals.

The ability to go anywhere on a SUMO is mind blowing, you fill find yourself driving around and just looking at new spots/random trails to go. It’s basically the only vehicle that can go past/around any closed gate if needed (jeeps can’t do that) and not look out of place on a side of the road climbing a hill (seeing as it’s almost a dirt bike) while an SUV would have people call the authorities instantly.

Instead of being limited to the super slab, you will literally have the ability to go anywhere and around everything.

I’ve found myself not taking the offramps but just cutting across the grass at the bottom of 87 where it meets 90 on certain occasions :rofl

the 426 is a god damn great motor , if ya get the bike do a yz426 intake cam and keep the wr exh . they had a bad problem with hot starts mostly due to carb inadaquicies and the cam swap helped with that and got ya better mid range as well seein as the wr was all bottom end . find out how many hrs are on bike and when the last top end was done etc etc

get your license first so that this doesn’t happen:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs010.snc1/4189_98984662036_747952036_3156588_4875656_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs032.snc1/4306_102854253941_811803941_2557251_5995783_n.jpg

:rofl

I think I remember that ^ :lol

Where’s the link to the story?

:rofl Yeah I’m going to go that route now. I’ll get my license as soon as possible and start the hunt for a bike around the same time.

Get license, get gear, have fun. I also would recommend taking the MSF course but it might be kind of later for you now.

I wouldn’t even race with the PDSC’s unless I have a set of rain, get a set of new and realistically streetable tires if you plan on getting that bike for street use.

yeah those tires are death on anything other than a well groom’d track.

Continental ContiForce SM’s and Metzeler Sportec M3’s I had on mine and they rocked.