Order parts from the USA with NO brokerage fees!

Here is a great article I found. Have used it for my parts coming in from the USA. Works perfect!

Hey all fellow Canadians,

This information comes to you on the heels of UPS posting the highest ever profits in their company history, thanks in part to us Canadians bending over and taking it up the wazoo EVERY FRIKKIN TIME we order something from the USA. UPS Brokerage fees are so outrageous that there should be a criminal investigation, BUT I have some very good news for you: You don’t have to pay those outrageous fees if you do something called Self Clearing.

What is self clearing? We all know that when goods come over the border, there is paperwork that needs to be done (usually by a “Broker”), so that your part can proceed into Canada to your doorstep. What most people don’t know, is what this mysterious paperwork is and how hard it is to complete, so they continue to get an*lly raped by UPS or any other delivery company (Purlolator, Fedex, Ground Transport, Etc) every time they order something that has to come over the border.

I am now going to give you a crash course in something called “self clearing” your own packages, which is going to eliminate all those crazy brokerage fees, and give your sphincter a break for a change. This is TOTALLY legit to do, and requires almost no work (YAY!) You will laugh (or cry, lol) when you see how easy this is!

HOW TO BE YOUR OWN FREIGHT BROKER

1. Order product of your choosing in USA and have it shipped to you. A $1600.00 CAD Value is the limit for self clearing. Might want to buy and ship those new rims one at a time, lol! Maybe your seller can help you out with this.

2)Once your goods are on the way and you have a tracking number, contact the devils spawn (read UPS) and inform them that you wish to self clear your package through Canada Customs. Quick note- They wont like you very much, since you are taking away part of the CEO’s 120 foot Yacht payment, but push on and tell them that you need the shipping manifest when your product reaches the border. Note that you will have only 48 hours to do this once your goods arrive at the border warehouse or they threaten to send back your merchandise to the seller (because they don’t like you). Be sure to give them your email, contact numbers and fax # if available. Track your shipment on the shippers website so you will know when it hits the border, and call them, since they will conveniently forget to call you to tell you that it has arrived at the border, even though you have supplied them with every possible way to contact you.

Be sure to get the address and telephone number of the shippers customs warehouse where your stuff is being held, Canada customs will ask for this information when you show them the manifest.

The shipping manifest they will send you looks just like an invoice but with some additional shipping info on it. It looks like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23254[/ATTACH] Click to enlarge

1. Take the manifest, which shows how much you paid for your items to your local CBSA office (Border Services). You can find your local office here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l…xtype49-e.html and tell them you want to self clear your shipment. They will calculate the HST you owe, and give you a receipt for the amount you paid them by debit, or credit card. This receipt is called a B15 Form. This is what it looks like:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]23255[/ATTACH] Click to enlarge

2. Take this form showing that you have paid the HST, and fax (or scan and email) it to your Shipping company’s office where your goods are being held. Always follow up with them by phone at that office immediately to ensure that they have received your email or fax.

3. Wait Joyously for your stuff to arrive, knowing you just saved a wad of your hard earned cash!

YOUR WELCOME ! http://www.m109riders.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

PS- This process is good for any shipping company: ie- UPS, purolator, Fedex, any Ground Transport company, etc.

thank you kind sir.

Going over to the CBSA office right now at the airport in Oshawa to self clear my next shipment of stuff! Sooo excited!

Big ups. I’ve looked into this before but never figured out every step. Looks like my local CBSA is a 5 minute drive from work.

nice info. I just kindly ask the sender to make up a low value number :slight_smile:

Good info, I gotta try this on my next shipment. This post should be stickied.

Time to turn the BING signal on and wait for Bing’s arrival lol

This plus use usps instead of ups.

man sweet find im gonna try this out!!!

:slight_smile:

i’m fine with this… that’s a lot of work to do on small orders.

i think many times you’ll still be better off calling up Varun or I or some of the other vendors around here.

very true. Small orders do not have as much a savings as larger orders obviously. I did this for my whole widebody kit and other big $$$ stuff i bought. plan on doing it for my rims too.

USPS is ideal also, but there are vendors who won’t use them only because its outside of their routine. It’s UPS or nothing with some of them.

you just saved me $500. thanks man!

Why can’t you just get things shipped to cbi in Niagara falls Ny .It’s like $5 and they hold it for you for quite a while?

^^sweet drift99! What did you get?

Yes, I have done shipping to buffalo before, but its a long drive to go get my stuff. Much easier to get it shipped to my door.

this would save you the $40 brokerage fee

is there a difference between duty and hst?

Yes, and depending on the kindness of the seller, more…

The brokerage fee is a sliding scale depending on the value of an item, gets quite expensive when bringing higher ticket items

Duty is separate, and needs to be paid on items made in Japan, or elsewhere. If it isn’t part of nafta (free trade) duties can apply.

Sometimes, parts can get through without duty if they are unsure the part is made in North America.

just use clearit.ca for big orders and usps on small orders. I tried to clear my own package and I was told I had to drive to the port of entry which would of ended up costing me $60 in gas and a few hours of my time.

^ good idea but if it starts at 49.99 how how you get any savings vs just paying the shipper to clear it?

http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/1543723.jpg

Very informative, this should be a sticky thread.