Customs

For anyone that has ordered stuff from someone outside of Canada:

What do you have to do to get your items to clear customs?
Do they just send you a form that you have to fill out?

Any info is appreciated.

6% duty and taxes…i forget what form you have to fill out if it’s a car. there is this old customs guy that comes into work all the time.

Thanks for the info, it’s for a set of rims I have coming in next week.

if it comes by UPS or fedex they will arbitrarily apply an amount for brokerage and taxes…

was was charged $45 CAD for an item i paid $80 USD for…

have it shipped with USPS, it will take 20 business days, you wont be able to track it, but you also wont get customs.

Crap, well it won’t be coming UPS since they are on strike since yesterday, but it was shipped with Fedex.

Is that brokerage fee a variable amount or is it a set charge?

pssst, you can claim certain items as gifts as long as they are under a certain amount … i think $100 per person. This may not apply to you, but it saved my ass before. lol, remeber when i sent the seafoam from florida? according to shipping my brother got 4 cans of seafoam, my sister got 4 and my mom got 4. :o

when i had stuff hsipped with fedex they sent me a bill after the fact for like $60… it was about 25 pages thick.

that was in the summer for something i had shipped for chris, eventually i’ll get around to paying it.

Well maybe if I give everyone in my family a 3rd of a rim customs will be happy, but otherwise looks like no exemption for me.

Isn’t there also a downside to claiming it as a gift though, like if it gets damaged in transit then you can’t claim the damages or something…?

BTW, UPS is on strike and not doing deliveries on any “new” packages, only stuff that was already in pipe by Nov 18th…

it won’t be coming UPS since they are on strike since yesterday

i bought 1/2 of my car from places in the us, never had a problem and have had ups, fedex, us postal…

fedex is the odd one, i got the bill like bing for my fuel pump/brakes, way after the fact for 1/7the the cost of the actual package, the next month, i got my exhaust from them, 8’ long box, special case for oversized and didn’t have to pay anything for it.

ups almost always nails me, but its for little. i got my brocks from the US, declared as ‘used rims/tires’ and a value of $100 and had to pay $20 to the ups guy. had to pay $100 duties on apex’i coilovers. declared as ‘springs’. creative uses of english :wink:

UPS is the worst to deal with since their 'brokerage fee is so high.

If you can ship USPS - Unisted States Postal Service. They allow more through customs and can be a little more lenient with duty.

Never used fedex so can’t say.

if its coming from a Person (as oppose to a bussiness)... Have them ship it as a "Gift" ... there wont be any taxes, or extra charges.

OR. I do this when i buy from the states.

Get an address of a friend or family in the states. Have the package shipped there. Then they can ship it (non-purchased) to you, via regular shipping charges.

Hope it helps.

Brokerage fees can be pricey. i had to pay $98 +08% tax (or somthing close to) on a $900 stillen clutch for my Z a year ago.
After that raping…That was when i got all the info on the cheapest way to ship…

***edit.
Find out whos delivering…if it`s UPS, you may want to check for alternate shipping methods, our local UPS in town are on Strike…if they all work for the same union, then UPS is down all over Ontario.

lol second time in this thread. Do people read posts?

I bought my used rims from a guy in california and this is how i escaped paying ANYTHING upon receiving my wheels+tires. I asked the seller to list on the form that he was “returning the rims to the original owner”. Fedex dropped off my wheels got my signature and i was one happy camper :smiley:

Brokerage and duties are bull**

that is a beautiful idea, I love it!