OTA HDTV? Antennas?

I have a db8 outdoors on a 15’ mast. CBC is no problem. Cfto ch9 will come in on clear nights most of the time. I didn’t have as much signal loss when the leaves went up as I thought would happen. I’m in amherst.

guy in lockport i bought my antennas from gets cleveland HD channels, his setup is amazing, of course hes an antenna guy so a 200 ft mast was not an issue for him lol

lol holy shit

yean man it looked like WIVB in his backyard

Seems to stupid though. It’s the same programming, except now the local news doesn’t apply to you. I can understand wanting Canadian HD to get some programming (especially hockey) that you can’t get from the Buffalo locals.

HD FTA box ftw…i’d rather get locals from about 100 markets with one dish. :slight_smile:

what is that?

free to air box. It works with dish network, basically you can program it with a flash drive to descramble everything. For testing purposes of course.

really? thats interesting. So it’s like an old school cheater box or something? It supports HD as well? I have dish network at home

how many times does it go down tho?, do the keys autoroll? or do you have to put them in manually?
You have to buy a HD box steve, they are around 300 bucks i believe.

goes down anywhere from once a week to once every couple months. it all varies. its been up since the beginnign of may right now, probably because all the TV sucks. In the peak of football season, it went down twice a week a couple times. Usually about a 12-36 hour turnaround time before the new firmware would be posted. Keys autoroll.

yeah my dads is about the same, my mom gets pissed waiting for the new keys

damn, didn’t know you could do this.

So you just run this in place of the set top box? Or in line with it? So does this mean you can then funnel the signal into a PC to burn HD shows to HD-DVD’s/BRD’s?

edit: can you guys point me to a reputable website for more info on one of these?

www.ftatalk.com
thats where i get all the files too.
Personally I have a coolsat. Their new 8100 HD DVR will work with dish network’s HD. If you look at another one, it needs to be MPEG 4.
You can disconnect one of the tuners from your set top box and plug an FTA in, or run an extra line from your switch if you have a spot open.

hey joe they make those for DTV also right?

im not sure. Last I heard no one hacked Dave’s encryption algorithm since they switched cards…

awesome, many thanks :tup: :beer:

yeah i remember that, it was so easy hacking dtv back in the day, now im stuck paying lol

yeah, FTA is pretty much having sunday ticket if you have the 61.5 and 129 satellites too, every couple weeks there would be a shitty game that wasnt on.

hahaha, ok. So yesterday I got it all installed and setup and was exited to try getting some OTA stations with the ol’ bunny ears (radio shack brand from the early 80’s… made in china).

Seeing as how they suck for regular analog TV it came as no surprise they were just as bad for digital. If I positioned them just right, I’d get CBS for about 10 seconds and the signal would drop and the audio/video would get choppy.

So I decided to look around online for a DIY HD antenna and found this VIDEO. Long story short, I spent about 2 hours gathering materials and building it, not to mention hacking the radio shack antenna apart for some parts for the build, only to fail horribly. The antenna sucked worse than the store bought one lol

back to the drawing board