Oversized Head Gasket

So I’ve been asking some people this question, but been getting incredibly mixed replies. The stock bore on a SR is 86 mm, but I accidently (dont rub it in anymore, some people have done enough of that :lol:) ordered a 87 mm gasket.

I’m kinda short on the cash flow right now, so I really dont want to buy a new one unless its neccesary.

What would happen if I still ran it?
Some people say it will still work and some people say it will be completely prone to blowing…

I’d imagine since you have an extra bit of bore air would sneek in to the gap and make it prone to blowing. I wouldnt want to rig something like that into my car, despite if I was broke or not.

I had a metal head gasket that was 87mm on the 86mm bore. No problems here. Even spoke to a shop in the states that sold it to me, and does tonnes of motors, and they said that it isn’t a problem.

What shop was that?

If you search on zilvia, freshalloy or nico there have been LOTS of problems with oversize cometics

But you know my opinion… and thats only 1mm over

Yeah, but thats not a Cometic.

I searched Zilvia and couldn’t find too much, and Flavio gave me a reassuring link on FreshAlloy.

Sorry, what shop was that?
How long did you have it on for?

“sigh”

Damn you Scott. :stuck_out_tongue:
Im poor, I cant afford to be throwing money at all my stupid mistakes like this.

JGY Customs in the states.

I had it on there for 2 summers I believe.

And then you sold it or changed it?

contact Enjuku and get them to replace it for you and pay for the shipping and restock if needed …they are a decent business and should be able to help you out with this ?

contact Enjuku and get them to replace it for you and pay for the shipping and restock if needed …they are a decent business and should be able to help you out with this ?[/quote]

Word if you got it from enjuku they will take it back.

They sent me 3 sets of JDM lights for the price of one :butthead:

2mm oversize is too big in my opinion. Bings sells these things for 125 shipped…if you’re building a car like you’re doing and cant afford 125 bucks, you got bigger problems to worry about once drift season comes around, lol.

He doesnt want a cometic though.

1mm oversize on your headgasket shouldn’t make too big of a issue, I’ve seen crazier things before. THe only thing I could see is your compression will drop a hair but you wouldn’t even notice that.

it is not any thicker … it is for a larger bore … so there will be different issues other than lowering compression

I have a 86.5 Cometic sitting in my room, but I’ve heard bad things… Haha.

I called ER back today to make sure everything was coming and I was getting the 87/1.2 MM head gasket, and the guy told me no one makes 86 MM head gaskets because the piston will hit it.

All head gaskets are slightly smaller than the bore becuase the slide onto studs or need bolts to go through them and won’t exactly match up with the cylinder. Don’t worry about it, it will be fine.