pa turnpike crash Friday night

thought i’d fill you guys in on what we saw on the TP Friday night.

it was about 6:30 or so…& we (wife & I) were headed to NJ for the weekend.
we were at mile marker 100.7 i think…so thats a few miles west of somerset.

we come around a right bend…and it was one of those bends where you can see about 1/4-1/2 mile of the straigtaway ahead.

my wife is driving and all of a sudden my wife is like what the hell is that??

& I’m like holy shit…that truck is coming through the barrier!!!

about 1/4 mile in front of us…a tractor trailor going west…broke through the barrier & came into the east bound lane.

concrete was flying everywhere, flames, carnage , etc…
other trucks in the west bound lane stopped to come put the fire out. & check on the guy…I was on the phone with 911

luckily the traffic wasn’t heavy going east cause it could have been really bad… there was only one car but it swerved to miss the truck.

we had to sit there for almost 2hrs.
where were about 4-5 cars back from the wreckage.

i’m glad no one was hurt but it was a once in a lifetime experience see that.
the drive just seemed shaken up…he was helped out of the truck & was walking but they still sent in in an ambulance.

http://www.pitt.edu/~jssst37/html/trucktpcrash.jpg

damn. crazy. glad u guys werent close enough to get hurt

Wow that guy is lucky.

wow… thats crazy

damn

I saw that on the news, that’s crazy

good work on the pics :bigthumb:

holy cow, i bet that was interesting to see

what was the reason he crossed through?

Thats the 2nd one in a few weeks… there was one 2 weeks ago when i was on my way to 7 Springs… right after Irwin.

a few people died in that one though

not sure…i didn’t hear his story, but i’m guessing he blew a tire & lost contol or fell asleep.

when were were driving back yesterday i check the westbound lane & its not a curvy downhill stretch were he could have gotten out fo control…its straight with slight left curve where he when into the wall…and its flat if not slightly uphill.

That one a few weeks ago was my nieghbor growing up. My question now is why are there trucks going through the barriers now?

i heard about that…dirty georg told me…

i remember one years back…probably in the summer of 99 or 2000

we sat in the backup for that for 1-2hrs…it was near donagal in that curvy downhill section…i think a few people died in that, but i never saw the wreckage cause we were a mile or so back from the wreck.

i just can’t believe i witnessed this one :eek3:

is that an ECM truck?

yeah looks like it, wonder if daves dad knows what happened dante

Time to start legislation for mandatory improved barriers.

and in 35 years we will start the actual building of the new and improved design.

yeah thats what i was thinking

I wonder what happened to the guy, did he fall asleep or something?

dam.i only live 20 miles away,should of called,could of brought u a pizza!

dang! good thing yinz are ok. i love the new jersey barriers in the newer portions of the TP. theyre much taller so you don’t get blinded by oncoming traffic.