Pentium D vs. Pentium 4

Who knows about this?? Which do I really need? I’m planning on running at LEAST 4 active programs simultaneously, 1 email client, 1 inventory client (using Firebird database and java platform), 1 contact management (using MSSQL), 1 quotation software (that will interact with the contact management program), 1 high-end accounting software. The accounting software probably won’t run all the time, but will need to run with all the other programs.

Specific program names: Act!, Thunderbird, Fishbowl Inventory, QuickBooks Pro Premier, and QuoteWerks.

These are the main ones… I of course have other background stuff also (Exodus, Trend-Micro, Apache, MySQL, Sunbird)

So, do I really need the dual boot? Or can I get away with a P-4? If I use a P-4 will it run like garbage? I have a 2.4 Ghz P-4 now with 756 RAM, and it sucks balls (it’s also over 3 years old)… I can run all those programs at once, but they take forever to come back up on the screen if I have them minimized, and today my inventory program crashed.

Intel® Pentium® D Processor Features

Features Benefits
Dual-Core Provides two execution cores in one physical processor allowing the platform to do more in less time while enjoying smooth interaction with your PC.
Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep® Technology Enables cooler and quieter PC designs—depending on system implementation and usage. (Not available on 820.)
Execute Disable Bit° Can help to prevent some classes of viruses and worms that exploit buffer overrun vulnerabilities thus helping to improve the overall security of the system.
Intel® Extended Memory 64 TechnologyΦ Processors with Intel EM64T allow platforms to access larger amounts of memory and will support 64-bit extended operating systems.

dual core ftw

and then load that box up with RAM and either SATA or SCSI drives

depends who’s paying… i hate seeing people slack on i/o and ram… get at least 2 gig of ram in there and i’d suggest ultra 320 scsi drives.

I’m looking at a Pentium D, 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSM, 1.0GB DDR2 NECC SDRAM 533Mhz, 160GB SATA drive… no raid, I don’t need it.

I just speced out an idential P-4, and it’s only $60 cheaper… :ugh:

Boss is paying… If I can convince him I need it. :ugh2: That’s the problem… I gotta keep the price down, but get something that will work for years to come…

The software guy here has wanted a new computer for years… I’m trying to get him one too.

those who play with fire, get burned

redundancy ftw

Nightly backups to a server that get burned to disk weekly… don’t need raid. Only the the CAD guys get RAID.

Anyways, I think I’m going to go dual boot, since it’s not that much more $$, and it will help a lot in the long run.

dual boot?

like two OS’s??

I meant dual core… :doh:

geah…

san > *

:confused:

lol @ brian

$989 for a Optiplex, 2.8 Ghz Pentium D, 1 GB Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive… I’m hoping my boss goes for it!