People With Money In the Market

So any of you guys with money in the stock market not getting kicked in the nuts right now? The last two months have been brutal on my accounts. Im thinking about ordering some skinny jeans and some emo tunes. Yes its that bad.

Last summer I started putting all my contributions in foreign stuff, and it saved my ass. Was still able to muster a gain of 8% over the year.

I did the same. Im just speaking of the last two months. Mostly the last month. Even my foreign stuff has been in the tank.

last 3 months my play stuff is down 4%

still running +9% over 18 mos. :meh:

Yea, my nuts have been kicked pretty good since Nov.

i was lucky enough to cash everything in right when the market peaked for a down payment on the new house.

Yea but right now they way I look at it…stuff is on sale :lol:

You bastard. I was gloating over how much i was up around the beginning of December and was going to cash some out but decided not to since i didnt really need the money for anything.

think long term, if youre diversified the market always goes up in the long run.

but yeah, my equity accounts are currently serving a sentence in pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

Oh i am not worried over it. Most of my money in i dont plan on using for many years but none the less it still hurts to watch it take a leap of faith.

I never understood stocks, I understand how cd’s and high yeild savings accounts work…but how exactly does stocks work?

For instance if I invest $1000 in a decent stock… and keep it for a year…how much BALLPARK will I make in interest?

Personal Rate of Return from 01/01/2008 to 01/18/2008 is -9.5%

thanks for getting me to look :frowning:

it will bounce back in a month or two :slight_smile:

It dosent work the same way a savings or cd does. With the savings and CD you will have a rate and know what it will yeild in a given amount of time. With a stock you are investing in a particular business and its success. You are a shareholder of said business so the easiest way to put it is if they do well you do well. There are many different levels of risk involved depending on who you invest in really. Some more steady companies you will eliminate some of the risk of losing alot but also probably wont make alot. Mutual funds in a quick summary are investing in multiple stocks combined into one stock. There are also many types of mutuals some higher risk then others. You want to have your money spread out between all forms of risk but you want to make sure you have a solid base of lower risk stocks. This is really personal preference and the amount of risk you are willing to take. Hope that helps some. If you have more specific questions ask away and if i cant answer it i know we have some people on here who would be able to.

Oh you think you are upset im -14%. Off topic but was it you i sold my contour to a few years ago?

Im doing well, I picked good companies.

Wal-mart, Lockheed Martin, Grumman, and the only one that isnt doing so well is Boeing .

Other companies that money is in, Famous Daves of America(makin money). Blizzard Entertainment(just for fun, 1 share). and 2 little shares of Microsoft, just to say I do.

The main ones, Wal-mart, Lockheed and Grumman are doing really well.

yep :slight_smile:

:wave:

and you took me for a ride in your stupid fast f bod

My 401k is all I’ve got. Grew ~25% last year. Down 10% already this year. Oh well, it’s retirement money. I don’t care what it does over the course of 1 month or 1 year.

Yeah, sedlmeier, no interest. You buy stuff hoping that its market value goes up. It’d be kind of like buying some clean V8 something-or-other and sticking it in the garage for 10 years hoping that this 35mpg legislation makes them gain value. Only instead of buying cars that you think will go up in value, you buy a piece of a company that you think will go up in value.

How long did that thing last? I think that was before i had the t-rex cam in it. At the time i had a lg cam i think anyhow SIQQQQQQQ!!! If we did burnouts then SIQx2.

much of my stuff is centered around smaller / long-term gains and I’ve weathered shit like this before just fine. it’s the short-term-profit-takers who’re fucked the most.

Dick on my ear. I took about 10% and hedged on Kinross Gold and DXD. I’ll ride out the rest.

401 is getting killed but it’s got 30 years to cook so I’ll just let it ride.