Personal check as payment

So a guy is coming out to buy something (sat) from me this weekend.
He’s coming from NJ to get it.

Asked me if I prefer cash, or I will take a check.
I said I prefer cash, but I said I’ll take a check as long as he doesn’t mind waiting while I call the bank.

Is this a good idea? Or am I just retarded?
Can the bank put a hold on the funds until the check I cash clears or something?
Because what happens if I call the bank, they confirm the funds are there, then he withdrawls/closes the account before I manage to get the check cashed/cleared?
I think the guy as is a contractor and seems pretty legit (pretty positive he’s coming out with his work truck)
But money is at stake… ;x

$3500 is the amount.

Retarded sounds like the best word. Tell him to bring cash, don’t bother taking on the risk.

Not a good idea. Tell him to go to Walmart and get a money order.

Certified bank check or cash, nothing else.

A bank can put a hold on that check so I would not risk that. Even certified bank checks can have holds.

a cheque is not money.

hold until it clears.

well i guess I best be making a phone call.
<3

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

How about money orders?
From like walmart or such?
As not all banks are open on weekends…

and if you quote the nothing else part of your previous statement, I’m going to kick you.

what the hell is a cheque?

:lol:

^lol. It took me a while to stop spelling it that way when I moved here.

I’ve heard they can take the funds back up to 2 weeks AFTER it clears in your account…Anyone know if thats true?

Cash, certified check or bank check. No other forms of payment. I do this for a living and we don’t accept anything other. People are too sly these days and its just not worth it considering the fact that it is so easy just to do it the right way.

Postal money orders are legit.

this is this preferred method for gun crowd or cash as always.

boom