Photography Question

I know there are some people here who are handly with a camera. (EMX, Nytmair) So I pose this question.

My friends and I were out trying to get some action photos of my car the other day and found that it was a bit more difficult than we thought.
The idea was to get a pic that would convey the idea of speed. Most of the pictures turned out like this one.

You can tell the car is moving but it doesn’t look fast. We tried slowing down shutter speeds but then we go over exposure. We found that when we zoomed in a little, the pictures showed the desired result. Like this one.

What is it that we are doing wrong? How do I get a full picture of the car similar to the one above?

Thanks.

To get the impression of speed… I recommend a faster car :wink:

Why don’t you try to zoom in… but be further away from the car…

This way the zoom still contains the whole car…

very funny:lolham:

i cant see the pictures, so i cant get a full understanding of what is going on.

but the problem with a long shutter speed in a car is it will be blury, so your going to have to have it mounted to a tripod in a car, going the same speed as the car you want to photo graph, focus on the car and take the pic, hopefully you hit no bumps, thats why a highway is good for this. no zooming is required, its about shutterspeed and being able to keep still while focusing in on the car.

that last pic shows a sence of speed.

When things are “too” in focus they look like they are standing still.

reduce your ISO settings…that will allow for a slower shutter speed without over exposing. You can also reduce your apature setting as much as possible, this will help reduce the light entering the camera.

Thats good info.

I was going to re-host the pics, but I too use photobucket… not sure why EMX can’t see them.

What camera are you using?

Perhaps work blocks??

Its an Olympus Camedia C-50Z 5.0MP.
Not the biggest fan of the interface but it takes a decent picture. I think my next one will be a Canon.

here ya go.
his first:
http://www.nyspeed.com/gallery/files/2/6/4/Action.jpeg
his second:
http://www.nyspeed.com/gallery/files/2/6/4/Action2.jpeg

:smiley:

:tup:

Your so fricken smart. Karma for you.

:tup: appreciated, of course.

comment was hilarious! :biglaugh:

i would just say what has already been said…

when you slow the shutter speed, raise the F-stop (make the aperture small) so as you let more light in through keeping the shutter open longer, you let an equivalent amount of light out by making a smaller aperture, so it’s the same exposure, but for a longer time, making the motion more pronounced.