Pittsburgh voted most livable city

link to source

Pittsburgh Is America’s Most Livable City
City Also Earned Title In 1985

POSTED: 8:34 am EDT April 26, 2007
UPDATED: 9:38 am EDT April 26, 2007

PITTSBURGH – Pittsburgh tops the list of America’s most livable cities.

To come up with the rankings, Places Rated Almanac judges 379 metropolitan areas in nine categories, including cost of living, transportation, jobs, and education.

Pittsburghers said they’re not surprised their city is taking top honors.

Mark Foerster, of Swissvale, said, “It’s no surprise, there’s so much going on. You see the new stadiums, of course PNC Park, Heinz Field, the new Pens Arena. It’s just amazing it’s taken the world this long to figure out we’re No. 1.”

The last time Pittsburgh claimed the No. 1 spot was in 1985.

None of the top 10 cities in the rankings are in the Sunbelt.

A total of five are in the Northeast, four are in the West Coast and one is in the upper Midwest.

San Francisco comes in at No. 2.

Seattle, Wash., is No. 3.

Coming in at No. 4 is Portland, Ore.

Fifth on the list is Philadelphia.

Rochester, N.Y., comes in at six.

Washington, D.C., is number No. 7.

San Jose-Sunnyvale, Calif., is eight.

And rounding out the bottom two are Boston, and Madison, Wis.

awesome

woot

great city to live in

Maybe they also took into consideration available housing since we’re #2 for people leaving. :slight_smile:

lol-z!!!

i personally dont think i would like to live in the city. Ill stick with the suburbs

is that the city of pittsburgh, or surroundings as well?

I guess they didn’t take notice of the piss poor road conditions or ridiculous parking rates in downtown.

Oh well, I guess that’s nice to know.

surrounding areas as well

It would have to be the suburbs as well… I know I’ve seen this argument on here before… UNLIKE New York City and Boston, people generally DO NOT live in downstown Pittsburgh.

If this is the most liveable city… I don’t want to see what the other ones are like.

It’s getting more liveable each day, as people vacate, and move to places with lower taxes and nicer roads. What the hell do they spend all the money on here?

Honestly though, Pittsburgh isn’t that bad. As much as people bitch about traffic, we have it way better than other major cities. Parking downtown is cheap compared to a “real” major city. As much as we bitch about taxes…well ok, that’s a valid complaint. The weather is also depressing for 4-5 months out of the year. Fortunately we are in the best part right now. Pretty soon it will be too hot.

how is dc on there? last time i was there it was straight hood…

Yeah you guys do have it easy with traffic. Fl. suck at driving. When I was driving on i4 in tampa i saw almost 3 accidents in 5mins and almost witnessed a guy on a motorcycle get rear-ended. I was about 3 cars back. I was ready to flip a bitch because it was a driver that almost caused an accident earlier on i4.

I try not to drive anywhere far anywhere between 3pm-6pm because your gonna hit major traffic.

lol @ DC being on that list.

If they take cost of living into account how the hell is SF #2? SF is absolutely insanely expensive. I’m not too surprised to see SJ/Sunnyvale at 8 though. Housing is expensive, but not too far out of line w/ the pay-scale in tech. here. I guess I can’t complain.

-TJ

you have a fat Lexus and a hopped up Z06. Shut the fuck up.

We’re just trying to give everyone in the country a taste of what it’s like. They don’t get to stay. :smiley:

pittsburgh also just posted teh biggest population drop of any us city other than new orleans since the year 2000! how can it be teh most livable city and also have ppl leaving in droves??? :rofl: