polishing glass

Is there anyone out there that does it? I’ve called a couple glass places. I have a windshield that I need a couple spots polished. I’d rather just have someone come in and do it instead of getting a kit for just one time. I don’t really have the time either.

nobody’s got anything?

There are a couple things with polishing glass.

First, its VERY hard to polish compared to automotive paint. Usually it takes some very aggressive methods to get even moderate corrections. Some have had success using a real(the non OTC easy stuff) metal polish to polish glass(crazy i know but think of how hard some metals are again compared to automotive paint)

Second, its usually best done using a rotary, a tedious process, but in the hands of an idiot too much heat can cause melting of the layer in between the 2 panes of glass(the material that keeps the windshield from shattering upon an impact), when this material in the middle melts it can cause permanent distortion and you will need a replacement.

If you find nothing still, send me a PM and maybe I can be of help :slight_smile:

Do you have photos of the spots?

Thank you, I will take some pics today.

I’ve had good results in the past using bonami- its like an old school comet cleanser but way gentler- doesn’t scratch like comet. Its getting harder & harder to find tho, not even sure where you could find it now. I still have mine from almost 10yrs ago. As mentioned use it with low speed, low pressure on a rotary buffer and make sure the glass doesn’t get too hot. You can also do it by hand, takes alot more elbow grease but its also alot easier to keep the glass cool

incidentally, that stuff works pretty well on plastic also like headlights