Poor GM.....

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/15/news/companies/gm_dealers/index.htm?postversion=2009051509

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – General Motors notified 1,100 of its 6,000 dealerships Friday that it is terminating their contracts with the struggling automaker, the first step in an even deeper 40% cut in its retail network.

I was talking about this to my girlfriend and she had no idea what was even going on…
I don’t think people realize how much this is going to effect the country.

Wonder how long before the public gets to see the list.

This is going to really cut deep, be ready for a lot of fall out

Between chrysler’s and GM’s cuts we are looking at an approximate loss of 100,000 jobs.

Ugh. I mean it was only a matter of time, but this still sucks.

Probably still cheaper than a bail out…

I generally don’t like stealerships but, still it does suck for A LOT of people. 1100?!?

I hope west herr pontiac is one of them after the experience i just had there.

I hate west herr period. I had the worst time with them in the past on a SUV purchase. They talked down to me and played games on a lemon. I was near ready to drive the thing through the window and throw the keys at them and walk out.

There already was loads of bailout money they got. It quenched a few months of their blown pension system I suppose. LOL

Myrtle Beach shouldn’t be affected there are only 3 gm dealers within a 60 mile radius :tup:

But regardless, it sucks for anyone this affects

Well Pontiac as a division has been cut.

Not as quick as Chrysler, since GM is not in BK…yet. They are just letting them know that by October of 2010 they will not be a GM dealership anymore. Also, dealers can petition to keep the dealership and GM will consider, but who knows what will happen from that.

Chrysler just said in 3 weeks we are taking your franchise. GM plan is to give dealers time to put a strategy together, plus GM won’t have a ton of cars to take to auction.

GM spokeswoman Susan Garontakos said the company will not make public a list of dealers to be cut, leaving the decision to release information to individual business owners.

i talked to a buddy of mine in the industry today, and he suggested GM will file for bankruptcy June 1st. just thought id add to the drama.

is this the first or second round of dealership cuts for GM?? I swear this is the second. I could be mistaken by GMs talks of cutting dealerships about a month or so ago.

What’s the reason behind the dealership cuts anyway? Where is the cost savings to GM corporate? Who is calling the shots here anyway. Because Toyota and Honda have 2/3s the dealerships GM does automatically means GM needs to slash 1/3 of theirs? I don’t get it.

great job obama…really fixing the economy…ugh that sucks

Dealerships whatever. The most important part is the supplier network.
Those manufacturers are part of Americas industrial strength.
As long as that is kept intact then things will recover.

They will file between the 25-27th of May.
Lets all make predictions locally.I’ll say in the northtowns:
Fucillo
Gillogily
Ki-po
Mike smith

:meh: that’s right, blame the Obamanation