Power supply

so yea, i’m lost on all this computer stuff…whats a good one to get? ones to avoid? looking for a 300 watt power supply, point me in the right direction! the one in there now is an Antec 300w if that matters?

300W is a bit on the low side these days especially with more modern components. You best bet is as usual or any online store that has a listing of reviews.

How much are you looking to spend.

This one seems to be quite popular, and well recieved at a decent price point. As well as a good quality name behind it to boot.

I’ve got a nice antec 400w true blue if you want it. I’m still hoping to come out sometime this week to get the hood, but I need to sort out some issues with the FD.

so i can move up to a 400watt without changing anything else? like i said i’m a computer newb! LOL

Yeah it won’t hurt anything to use a higher capacity supply, it’s not how much power it uses. It’s the amount of power it can (Theoretically) deliver. Antec power supplies are definitely solid, so you might want to work out a deal with the above if the price is right. :wink:

Also don’t cheap out on the supply, a good quality one is critical. So DO NOT get a generic no-name power supply. Sure spending $10-20 on a new supply might seem like a good idea at first, but it’s not. :slight_smile:

I love my ocz power supply

first of all, he never mentioned what kind of a computer.

If its a dell, then he needs a dell power supply.

If its something else, then he can use a standard off the shelf psu.

Also heres a newsflash.

If he has a regular computer with one hard drive, and one optical drive he doesn’t need a ten billion watt psu.

A 30 dollar one will be fine, so long as its a decent name brand.

Antec, enermax, quite a few more of them on newegg are quite good.

Yeah, I know, but he mentioned he didn’t really know what he needed, so I’m probably just going to give him my Antec and if it doesn’t work, I’ll take it back. If it does, we’ll work something out.

Hell, I’ll put it in too…

yea that sounds good brent :tup:

oh and its not a dell, and its not some crazy computer i just have a single hard drive

thermal take… don’t get a shitty powersupply… so many issues will result

[quote=“ILCisDEAD,post:10,topic:30637"”]

[/quote]

So true, so true.

And in most (or many at least) cases, aim higher for wattage and quality if you can afford it. alot of times a CPU system will draw more power than its rated for, thus overworking the powersupply. I had that issue and burnt out a PS in under a year.

[/quote]

Really… i dont care what your running, its allways better to have a power supply thats rated to put out at least double what your using… And no go on those chepo ones. My brother got a ‘500w’ one that was like $40 two years ago, and a year later it randomly threw out +30v on the +12v rail, and blew anything that uses 12v, so, the mobo, optical drives, hd’s and the brand friggn new $400 video card… The only thing that made it is the outdated processor and case… Not cool…

Altough the power still does work… if you want a 30v power supply…

[/quote]

never happened to me, ive built dozens of computers, all which i still have off cheap no-name psu’s
the most ive had to do is take one apart and use rat rubbers to rig up a new fan inside it.