Presidential Election Choices

We may be paid higher than in other states but that just means those teachers are getting the shaft in other states.

You say that we’re overpaid yet we have to get a masters to keep our jobs. Average starting salary in this state is around 34k, with a masters its 38k.

This isn’t the first time that you have said teachers are overpaid here and I say again that you don’t know enough about what it takes to become a teacher in this state and what it means to be a teacher to have such an opinion.

With the same level of education I could be making 50k. NY has the hardest requirments to become a teacher. I have worked in both suburban and urban schools and let me tell you they don’t pay you enough. Especially if you’re a Buffalo teacher. I taught 9th grade English as a sub in Buffalo, I had class sizes up to 45 students.

On top of that I have to continue my education after my masters to keep my certification. It ends up being a big pain in the ass to do a job that most people quit after 5 years.

And before you throw in the whole “well you get summers off garbage” let me tell you that I won’t be enjoying those summers off for atleast 15 years. I will always have to find some summer job to keep the money flowing in.

Wow am I glad I went to school for 6 years to have 2 jobs to keep my head above water.

Don’t get me wrong day-by-day I love my job, don’t punish me for that, but the hoops I had to jump through and continue to jump through are rediculous.

What upsets me is that you have such a low respect for my profession and yet you would not be where you are without teachers. I doubt you’re self-educated.

If you had an abundance of shitty teachers than I’m sorry, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that you are wrong.