Problems to look for on an e46?

I am going to look at a 330 coupe, stick, with a sports package, for a friend

What should I look for, it has 60k, what are the typical problems with these things

Bushings in the Rear.

should i push on the rear and see if they make noise?

[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:3,topic:33334"”]

should i push on the rear and see if they make noise?

[/quote]

Why not? Works on women…

[quote=“tonymitss5,post:2,topic:33334"”]

Bushings in the Rear.

[/quote]

:hang:
Generic statement about the rear FTL.

Check to make sure the subframe mounts havent ripped out of the unibody, it’s a common problem even on the motorsports (///M or ///M Race car) chassis. If it’s an auto, just look elsewhere because BMW auto’s are the worst in the industry. If you’re looking for a GT/daily get the e46, if you want a weekend track toy/daily get the e36, much more a “drivers” car.

so Im looking for subframe mounts and rear bushings

It will def. be an e46.

I highly doubt that the rear subframe is broken unless the car has been beat on HARD. I beat the living snot outta my car and have had no subframe problems yet.

If it drives good, and looks good your probably in the clear. Id still do a carfax just incase its been in a major fender bender.

I am usually pretty good at spotting paint work, but I will carfax if everything else checks out

i just bought an e46, check the front axels, ball joints… ususal things in the front end. look at the power steering lines for leaks, as well as bottom of the engine for randoms leaks…

check the washer fluid bottle for leaks there too.

my e46 ws not orginally a nys car so the bottom of it was crazy clean! i got a XI though. only thing i could find wrong was the washer fluid bottle had a small leak for its o-ring lol

BMW AWD is just about the worst system on the market in terms of how it drives, it’s design, and working on it. What a waste.

Faggots behind the steering wheel

I rofl’d so hard walter I actually sent that to my father. (an e46 owner, :lol:)

I’m thinking I should have started my thread like this…

I’ll help here…

Make sure the rear end does not look like this…Ripped subframe OBVIOUSLY.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/suspension/reinf_e46_subframe_2.jpg

Also check all windows and sunroof. The motors tend to die out…if they move slow or not at all…problem.

[quote=“MPD47,post:12,topic:33334"”]

I rofl’d so hard walter I actually sent that to my father. (an e46 owner, :lol:)

[/quote]

That’s why we can’t take him (Walter) anywhere :slight_smile:

So I’m driving with my woman a couple of days ago. We’re having a fairly serious conversation. She’s telling me about her friend that was physically abused by her boyfriend (who is a personal injury attorney, <3 irony) and she’s pressing charges, he’s pulling strings to make the charges disappear, blah blah blah. When I notice that there’s a dude in a BMW riding my ass.

In the midst of this somber conversation I’m turning red in the face trying not to burst out laughing because all I can think is:

[quote=“walter,post:11,topic:33334"”]

Faggots behind the steering wheel

[/quote]

:lol: Probably had to be there…

for a friend huh?