Project 2002 Ducati 900SS Street Fighter

I was thinking about a metallic black with a gold pearl in it too at one point, but I didnt want it to be that dark over all of a bike.

Idea is bright and attention getting, so i can rep my work as people ask about it and drum up some biz.

I need to do something to bring the while color down. I am thinking the timing belt covers in the same white, or find a belly pan I can fab up to fit under the motor and paint that white. The mini faring around the headlight will help pull the white color into the rest of the bike too I hope. But that giant grey engine just hanging there still gets to me for some reason.

This might give you some ideas. I posted this in our moto section. If you are not going to have a belly pan, do consider relocating the oil cooler down low with some new nice looking hosing, I think visually it makes the bike more planted and lighter up top.

I could do something like that actually. And maybe even make a nice steel shroud around it, based off the relocation mounts i would have to make to paint the white and bring the color down there. Thanks for the idea!

Exhaust looks sweet on that too and gives me some routing ideas also.

looks great. not a fan of the headlight, but everything else is tits.

ill have to stop in next time i take the buell out. i ride right by your shop usually

Yeah its big. We looked at it last night and I have no idea how to make a nice looking shroud around it. I bid on a upper fairing for the gsxr, if I get it cheap ill try and cut it up and see what happens. if not, i guess ill be changing the headlight.

Any suggestions?

buell blast is a popular choice for a retro streetfighter look
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/93/9ac88f331357d3b2b03ce6a828ba28c1/l.jpg

or something cafe looking like this…
http://www.mototwin.co.uk/store/images/Fairing.jpg

Suggestion 1

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/tofergstaff/Bike5-1.jpg

Suggestion 2

suggestion 1 is a buell xbs headlight and flyscreen.

With the XBS headlight, a gasmask actually fits nearly perfect over it. My dad installed one on his. Sadly, only found one side picture of my dads old Buell with the gas mask on:

I found a few more…

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/507398.jpg

Though I don’t think a black rubber gasmask would go with your white/gold theme. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love buells !!! oh and that set up now lol

gas mask is a little bit creepy. but i like the dual headlight setup.

Never seen the gas mask setup before, but it’s awesome if you’re going for that look.

wiring gremlins = Ducati

I spend 2 days cutting, extending and tucking the entire wiring harness for the bike. Since the ECU, VRM, coils, fuse box and relays all have been drastically relocated, the harness was never going to lay out in stock form.

Every wire was painstakingly soldered and double shrinkwrapped, and taped up tight. Gave it power, lights came on hit the starter, nothing… fuel pump wasnt turning on either. Eric and I spend many hours, un wrapping it all again, and hunting the issues down. First the starter “contactor” Ducati calls it wasnt receiving a ground to the relay, key on was 12 volts on one nothing on the other, starter button fed it 12 v on BOTH wires… thats not going to make a relay move! Fuel pump was also getting 12V on a wire that was supposed to be a ground. Traced them back on the diagram, and they seem to be switching grounds inside the “injector controller”, or the ECU if you dont talk Ducati. Every pinout and wire point A to B on the rest of the harness we checked one by one and they are all 100% perfect… we put the eggs in the bad ecu basket. Probably got jostled around for 5 months and broke something inside.

New ECU is $1495.99 from Ducati!!!

or $150 on ebay. lol

New ecu was put in, with the questioned ground/12v wires for the starter and pump disconnected. Multimeter now showed the fuel pump had a proper ground but the starter was now only showing 8V on the ground button depressed. thats odd, there is a diode thats questionable so that was snipped out. The 12V feed from the starter button was left intact, the wire from the ECU that was supposed to be a switching ground was clipped and tucked away not to be used. Thats a DUMB design too, just asking to fry an ecu from a back feeding busted solenoid if that 3 cent diode failed (which could have been what took out the first ecu).

Needless to say, now the starting circuit is like a simple lawn tractor, and works perfectly, and more importantly isolates the expensive ass ecu away from the only issue with the wiring we had.

So, last night i put fresh fuel in the tank, connected the lines and put the tank on a stand next to it. Choked it hit the button and it fired right up! Choke off, even cold, it idled like a champ and had instant throttle response!

Big load off my shoulders, and finally we can get check one more project off the list soon, and more importantly reclaim floor and shelf space!!!

Lighting, digital gauge cluster swap, and some sort of exhaust and this will be rideable again!

Nice! Glad it worked out.

^ you quoted a whole narrative of a post to say that? :facepalm

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Bike is running good and rides great. It needed exhaust in a bad way, so I set to work.

Made everything but the first few inches of the primaries into the head, no need to replicate them when I can just reuse the ducati originals. I made the muffler baffle like a short version of the Screamin Eagle baffles for HD’s. Made the end caps to slip inside the 3" SS slash cut tip, welded on the baffle tube, wrapped it with packing and secured it with some SS tig wire. Cut the muffler caniset to shape and slide the baffle in. Sealed with gold high temp silicone and secured the baffle with 4 rivets.

As you can see its a 2-1 design, I made the merge from 2 mandrel bends splayed together to converge nice and smooth, then slip fit into the baffle nice and tight, then held together with 2 dirt bike exhaust springs and tabs, as well as secured and located with the bracket to the engine case behide the rear barke. Which still needs to be formed against the muffler better and final welded.

Primaries are 1.5" 16GA. The forward cylinder was re-routed VS the factory pipe to allow access to the oil filter and drain plug a bit better and knock 2 inches off the total length leading to the collector. The rear cylinder is naturally going to be a bit short to the collector unless I sent the tube forward under the motor and 180’d it back in, which would be hard without a 2" or less CLR. So I decided to shorten the front pipe a bit as mentioned and try to lengthen the rear pipe as much as I could to get them a bit more equal length. the factor ducati pipes were different lengths by 4", the combo of pipes I made is now only 1.75" different front vs back primaries.

Dont mind the welds, the tubing is mild steel and its getting header wrapped anyway… so it got a bit more heat and more filler so it wouldnt crack being shaken to death on a V-twin. This was my first exhaust on a bike made from scratch so I was not about to sink the money and time in tigging up SS so clean I can eat off it, when I didnt even know if the exhaust was going to work!

So here it is, needs to be wrapped and muffler powercoated. But it looks cool, and sounds great. Much quieter than straight pipes, decel pop is almost totally elliminated, deeper tone, added a bunch of back pressure and richened up the tune. Powercommander is installed and flashed with the “K&N no air box lid and slip ons” file then I can tweak it from there. Runs night and day different on the short blast down the road and back last night.

More to come.

VIDEO
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/CapitalRegionCustoms/th_20120724_233354.jpg

^^ I learned about riders with shorts and sneakers in the how to spot s squid post… LOL Bike looks good.

:rofl

should have seen the first day i rode it down the road to waynes!

that was 1:00am last night, all of 1 mile total. risk sure, but i had to hear what my 10 hours of work got me!