Project 2002 Ducati 900SS Street Fighter

We started off with a dead stock, 2002 Ducati 900SS with 9000 miles on it. Big thanks to Dave from Cash 4 Gold for the deal on it! :number1

The plans are to build a street fighter out of it. Something that will showcase our talent, the powdercoating work we do and the creativity we have to build something one of a kind. Knowing it will probably piss off some hardcore Ducati lovers out there, we began cutting it up! Love it or hate it, thats how I roll.

How it looked when we got it:

We promptly did what any custom shop would do… took the exhaust off and did a burnout!

VIDEO: -> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150508046940775

Then got to taking it apart.

There are more pics i think of this, but I have to find them on the cameras.

The entire bike got striped to nothing. Frame sent to the sand blaster, engine taped up and put to the side, 3 rubbermaid bins held the rest of the small bits, and everything not going to be reused was sold on ebay.

Fast forward to now. Plastics are gone, naked bike for the win. Then I wanted to get rid of the big bubbly looking tail section and ugly tail light. I always liked the 08 R6 tails with the integrated LED brake light and smooth undertail. The turns can be easily wired into the taillight too, so I picked up a complete tail and seat off ebay.

I began cutting off any unused tabs and brackets off the frame, smoothing it out. Then attached the 900SS tank, and grafted the R6 seat into the tank. Positioned the seat where it looked good and felt good on the frame and made the attachment points for the seat from there. The R6 tail slid right over the subframe on the Ducati like it was meant for it. Made some mounting tabs and positioned it all perfectly. Added a tray to the subframe to attach wiring, fuse blocks, relays and anything else i dont want seen on the bike.

Next I added a tube on the top of the frame, and built a battery box, ECU and voltage regulator tucked under the fuel tank, completely out of sight. Wiring throughout the bike will be snaked through the frame where it can be, or tucked away where it cant be. Clean and minimized is what I am after here.

The frame could now be powdercoated, along with the swingarm, triples, clip-ons, and other small parts that will be reused.

This is the completed frame. Everything cut off and smoothed that wouldn’t be reused. R6 tail and seat mounts. Custom battery box, ecu and VR mounts. Freshly powder coated a custom blended gold color combination.

At this point the bike can start to be put together. Wheels, front end is installed, rear shock and swingarm reinstalled, and the engine hung. Now you get a good idea of the over all bikes look.

Next we mocked up the tail, seat and tank to get a feel for the rest of the bike. I think the tail fits the flow of the frame and the lines on the Ducati tank very well. Some will see this as a disgrace to the bike, some will love it. Others might not even know it wasnt Ducati plastics. Its custom, and thats the point!

Next up is getting the sprockets, brake calipers, foot controls, hand levers, carb bodies, engine case parts and what ever else I can pull off it powdercoated and reinstalled. Then build mounts for the GSXR headlight, and mini faring for the housing. Figure out what to do for gauges, if any, then lay out the wiring. Then the wheels can come off and get sandblasted and coated. Finish the plastics and shoot them in paint. Make some pipes for it, and fire it up!

Nice stuff!!

Sickk!!! Can’t wait to see the progress on this thing.

looks good are you going to do anything with the motor and trans like paint/polish it?

Yeah the motor looks dumb as it is doesnt it!

I will start by taking anything off it I can and just PC or polishing it. I dont want to get into having to rebuild the jugs or anything. There is way too much going on at the shop to have it down for much longer. It needs to get finished and out of the way as soon as possible.

Awesome work, will be sick when finished I’m sure

looks soo much better than it used to

Interested in seeing what you do with the Duc!

I wouldn’t say it looks dumb, but leaving the motor/trans untouched would take away from the awesome work already done IMO.

Qft. If its worth doing, its worth over doing. Showcase your shit man… ya have talent. Get it done.

subbed for what looks like so far a bad ass build!!!

I feel ya all on the engine. I looked at it last night. I can empty fluids and remove lots of hard parts to coat and bring some color into the motor without pulling it out or taking the jugs off and what not.

I got a good idea for the exhaust too last night. :slight_smile:

Looks good man! Fuck the purists. I’ve always liked street fighters hence the z1000 I ride. Check out customfighters.com if you haven’t already to show case your skills there too! Keep up the good work, can’t wait to see the progress and end result.

Woody i love you but that gold is awful. Work is legit though!!!

Thanks buddy! Yeah i troll over there a bit for ideas. When i get this thing done, i will post a build thread over there and see if I can get it into the Fighter of the Month contest.

:rofl Sooo. The exhaust tips for the Neon you dont want the gold color I just shot them in then? :ninja

ronald mcdonald here i come!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHpHdGH3GfI[/ame]

lmfao

R6 tail and solo cover body work finished. Tank and front fender shot too. Still need to take the gas tank trim ring and lid off and powercoat them the gold color. 2010 GSXR1K headlight frame built and mocked into place. Need to get creative with some tin work and make a mini faring around that and paint it the white too.

Wiring is going to be a major pain in the ass to minimize and tuck out of sight the best I can. Also have to make coil pack mounts under the tank. Koso digital gauge is coming to replace the giant analog gauges that have nowhere to go anyways on the bike. Billet mirrors coming to attach to the clipons. Then its turn signals up front, in the tail light and make a plate bracket and light under the tail.

Color is Subaru bright white with a custom gold pearl midcoat.

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/CRC_Coatings/20120518_192908.jpg

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/CRC_Coatings/20120518_192918.jpg

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/CRC_Coatings/20120518_192930.jpg

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/CRC_Coatings/20120518_193202.jpg

^ Nice stuff man! Personally I prefer black body on a gold frame, can’t go wrong wil a JPS’ish paint scheme.