proper pizza delivery tip amount

I managed a pizza shop- and tip generously FOR THE MOST PART…

however, i know there is no excuse for a tuesday night delivery to be late… so if they are- they get a shitty tip.

Shitty = 1 dollar
Good = 2-4 (4 is on a good day when I’m not broke or when a group of us pitch in and I have extra)

I still get a different job.

I don’t tip pizza delivery guys at all. It’s their job to bring me my food, fuck em all. I don’t get a “tip” if I fix a pc at work.

:smiley:

The Resevoir Dogs tipping argument from Mr. Pink?

Why does one example of workers in a similar service industry expect a tip when others do not? You don’t tip the fast food counter person, yet the paperboy, delivery drivers and waiters get a tip? It’s bullshit.

And, this “blackmail us by the subtle threats of sticking the fork in your crack and/or spitting in our food” bit? Childish to say the least, and if someone got caught doing such things it could be potentially dangerous, not to mention make you unemployable.

All the bad outcomes that could result could be, in order of severity:
Lose your job?
A sound ass-whooping?
Attempted manslaughter charges for potentially giving someone hepatitis A?
Double-tap to the chest by an enraged, temporarily insane customer?

All over, what, a few bucks?

on the “if drivers make minimum wage, a tip isn’t necessary” comment:
Minimum wage, minus the gas spent to go to and from deliveries, is less than minimum wage. Plus, I’m sure barbers who give $30 haircuts make more than minimum wage, and you still tip them.

on the “late food” comment:
95% of the time, food is late because the retarded 17 year old girl answering the phone has no concept of how “in the weeds” the kitchen staff is. I caught a girl telling someone 35 minutes when I had seven deliveried queued up in front of it AND we had a full dining room. When I take late food, I always make sure to apologise for the delay, and I still usually get tipped pretty well. Drivers rarely take their time getting places.

on 77rednecktruck
your food would be held out the window on my drive over. in the snow.

whitey
where did you deliver? i’ve only seen a tip-turnaround in ONE regular customer in my entire life, and it was because he ASKED me what a proper tip is. our other driver at Alioto’s is my polar opposite; He’s nice to everyone, regardless of how shitty they tip him, and well more than half of the time I make better tips than he does.

I’m not complaining. I love the fact that most people tip me well. And I give customer service based on previous tipping experience. A customer in Fox Chapel who tips me $6-10 regularly always gets his food before the nouveau-pseudo-riche in Wible Woods who stiffs me on forty dollar orders. Wible Woods is four minutes from the shop… Fox Chapel is fifteen.

i’ve never contaminated anyone’s food. i’ll bring it cold, shaken, or upside-down, but i wont drag my balls across it or anything.

you’re fucking retarded…

first off… why should i have to pay your gas prices? you’re the asshole that agreed to deliver food with your own car, using your own means to pay for gas… so STFU if it was a regulation, then it would come out of hte total amount you owe for the food… not an OPTIONAL tip

1. selfish greedy expectant assholes don’t get tips… poeple that do a good job do… you have to EARN tips not expect them.

so STFU and get another job if you want to make more money to afford gas.

:love:

I don’t get delivery because i’m 2 minutes away from my favorite pizza shop, but then I did I tipped 2-4 for an order.

Different for me. This math is for a Steelers Sunday, with 25 deliveries (average):

$50.00 - Ten Hours of Pay
$25.00 - Delivery Commission ($1/per)
$100.00 - Tips (Steelers game avg, $4/per)
-$9.00 - Fuel used (100mi @ 25mpg @ $2.25/gal)

That’s $166.00. And that’s an average Steelers night. This last game I made a little over $200.

Now on an average Tuesday (slowest night of the week)?

$35.00 - Seven Hours of Pay
$7.00 - Delivery Commission ($1/per)
$23.31 - Tips (normal avg, $3.33/per)
-$2.70 - Fuel used (30mi @ 25mpg @ $2.25/gal)

That’s only $62.61… but it’s still almost $9/hour after fuel costs.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday are all well over $130 days.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are $60-90 days.

The trick is to not deliver in a used luxury car (e.g. Audi). I’ve been thinking about restoring a three-cylinder Metro or CRX HF so I’d have a 60mpg beater for the forseeable future.

i do a good job with every new customer. if they take care of me, i take care of them. that’s how it works.

i have no problem affording anything i need… it’s a matter of being just. Good service, good tips, continued good service. Good service, bad tip, bad service proportionate to bad tip. If I give the good customers service equal to the bad customers, I’m doing them a disservice.

Why even have this argument?

No offense to anyone, but in my opinion delivering pizzas should not be a person’s long term career choice. If I lost my job tommorow and couldn’t work anywhere else, yes, I would deliver pizzas if that was the best available option. BUT, I would NOT be contemplating ways to maximize my earnings as a pizza delivery guy, I’d be contemplating getting a better job. Again, no offense intended.

all places i order from are no more than half a mile from my house. I never order more that much. so i atleast give a dollar and change if not 2 to 3 dollars. thats if i order for myself. people often forget a tip is a bonus. you aren’t entitled to a tip. You are entitled to your regular pay, you do get paid to do that job if if you don’t like that pay get a new one. I’m a good hearted person thou and always tip.

i used to cut people’s eyeglass lenses for a living… i took the prescriptions, carved the proper prescriptions out of the lens templates, cut the lenses to the proper size to fit in the frames, and assembled the glasses. I made $8.50/hour and went home every day with lacerations on my fingers. So I went back to delivering pizza. I won’t be doing it much longer, but I wouldn’t fault any single guy who does. You can’t support a family on $30k/year, but you can easily support yourself.

i delivered in the sewickley and moon area

here’s the discussion ender:

I’m not unionised. If my performance is unacceptable, I can be replaced. Neither I nor my boss seems to have a problem with my modus operandi.

i think i am a pretty good tipper when it comes to getting food delivered. i normaly tip $5 on a $20 or less bill, and if its on a sunday for the football game i’ll give more because i no that they are busy and it would suck to be working during the game.
the only time i dont tip is when i go out to eat and i get that bitch/asshole waiter… they get a dollar and some change if they are lucky.

i deliver around imperial and oakdale. most of our customers are regulars and they tip ok . ok here for exaample i deliver to walden woods the order was 10.63 , the person gave me 10.65 . i was irrated cuz they could have picked it up and saved me sometime. but its when i have to go to oakdale and they don’t tip that i get real offened .

Is there any possible way we could not have any more fucking pizza/food delivery threads until next year?

:rofl: they’ve taken over the political arguments

That is your gas money… nuff said- I will never tip again.