Pros/Cons Of Working For a Dealership

[quote=“Carnut,post:5,topic:25515"”]

Here we go.

I went to School for GM as a Tech. I have all of my ASE certifications plus my advanced level certifications. I think I know what I am doing. My superiors always respected my knowledge and credentials but when it came to pay it didn’t really mean shit.

Plain and simple. If you can fix a car and fix it fast you will make $$$ Don’t expect to make more than $20 an hour around Buffalo EVER. Even after you have been in it for 10 years.

If you went down south they would start you at 16-18 an hour. My friend Darren is making 32 an hour as an A tech in a dealer in Atlanta. Great for him but sucks to be here. That’s why he moved.

Working on cars tears you up fo sho. I don’t know any other job where the following things are applied.

1. You are expected to learn and be an expert in all cars at all times.
  2. Your job is 100% physical
  3. For those who perform Diagnostics and are good at it, your job is 100% mental and 100% physical…this was me.
  4. You have to pay for your own tools in order to work, expect no less than a $30,000 dollar investment to be able to cover most shit that comes your way and efficiently…efficiency is the key to making money.
  5. Cars change every year and sometimes half a year. The human body hasn’t changed in oh I don’t know 10,000 years. Food for thought

Cars are a hobby. Go to school make the big bucks, play with cars and enjoy life. Work on them for a living and it takes the fun out of it sometimes. Unless you are a diehard.

It’s nice to be able to afford to build a nice car and not just work on them…take it from me.:nite: :meh:

[/quote]

very, very well put. after my second year of school, and one summer of working, im beginning to think that working on oem cars is not what i wanna do :confused: