Pros/Cons Of Working For a Dealership

yea porsches and luxary cars are a different story then jrs piece of shit cavalier.

Agreed, but not everyone can acheive that, especially in NYS. Like I said, if you are a tech or want to be one, good luck enjoy it. It’s a long hard road.

Alot of you are talking about people outside of NYS making big money. That is where you need to be to make it in the automotive world. I used to work at a collision shop, and pay is slow moving up, gotta fight for a $.25 raise. I worked with a guy who has been doing this for a little over 20 years, and he said he is a shop whore, basically staying at a place for about 2 years and moving on to get another $1 or so an hour. He was at about $20 hr, and he was really good, did some major work fast and good. I have looked in the paper at my dad’s house when I visit (outside of Philly) and they are in need of auto help, offering $1000 sign on bonuses. I recently bought some parts off a guy who lives in Pa, does body work. He is making almost $6 hr more than I was, with only 2 yrs more experience than I have. My brother graduate from Alfred Tech, with both auto and diesel. He has been told by his prof at school and from other mech that NY’s pay scale for auto is ranked in the mid to high 40’s in the country. My brother is thinking of moving to Texas or Tennesse, they are the 2 highest paying automotive states, and they need the help.
For you mechanics here, what is your hourly rate? At Thanksgiving, I was at my dad’s, coil pack went on my wifes Windstar, no biggie they are like $55 from Advanced Auto. Well, I didn’t bring any tools with me, nor does my dad own any, so I went to buy a set to fix my car and my dad talked me into going to his mechanic. He offered to pay, so I was like, ok. His mechanic, is at a Sunoco gas station, the hourly rate was $150. And that isn’t because I had out of state plates, it is the going rate there posted on thier sign in the lobby.
Don’t mean to be long winded, but just sharing some info. I got out of it, constantly buying new tools and pay isn’t the best. I am sure some here are probably making good money, but in general most are not. It wasn’t the shop I was at either nor my ability, did some interviews with dealers and shops, all looking to be in the same pay range.

truth.com

Thanks for your input guys. Yeah Im 28 so even $20hr is ~ehh ok~ I was making $18 at my other job as a technician in a factory (repairing/maintaining) machines/robots. Almost as bad as a mech. as far as contorting your body, leaning, kneeling, ect…end of the day my bad feels like it was thrown agains a cement wall. Also, I can usually pull 1-2 cars a mo. to work on when Im working. Now I’m doing 1-2 a week PLUS working on my car. So, I know how that goes.
As far as what all of u have said, I’ve been told that forever as well. Even the, “why the F would u wanna be a mech.? u have a degree, dont bother.”
So, yeah I might just be a lube tech just to get by since my unemployment might be canceled because so cunt at SPS told unemployment that I turned down a job. (It was for $11hr 45min away) So, of coarse I turned it down, its my right, I dont have to take anything less that 80% right now. PLUS, Im gonna be going to school. Fu(kin temp services…I HATE them.

shit your 28 wow im young

Good luck

I have one friend who is a tech (mechanic) at a stealership and makes a good living at it. But he works HARD and FAST. And like was said, it is physically very demanding and there is a big investment in tools, etc.

This thread is kinda depressing.

indeed thanks for bringing it back up lol