Prototype Nokia phone recharges without wires

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/143945:ahh:ahh:ahh

Hey! That’s pretty neat!

Good idea but like they said in the article, they can only receive about 5mW from all the surrounding electromagnetic radiation. They have along way to go to harness more energy.

right right, but theyre moving in the right direction with this for sure. its a good idea and its actually working!

I think the major problem is even though there are millions of different radio transmissions, they are such low power that harnessing enough power to charge a phone at a decent rate would require the phone to have a 10ft antenna or longer :lol

sallright, theyll get there. maybe not in our lifetime, but itll be done.

My toothbrush recharges without wires…

i have the same one, Chuck. it’s got to sit on that base though, but yes. it’s a different mechanism. it uses a rotating magnet and a coil, kinda like those flashlights u shake to get them to work.

Or how about the watches that have been around forever that wind with being worn just from your motion.

yes, those need mechanical motion like the toothbrush as well. its all really great stuff that were not using nearly enough.

Does it really use a rotating magnet or are there just two coils (one in the base, other in the handle) that are close together. You can “couple” the two coils together and transfer energy that way.

they dont actually touch, it uses a rotating magnetic field on one side and a wound coil on the other to push the electrons in the coil and create flow. look up Faraday Principle and how it works. same thing.

Yeah I know they don’t touch, but I am kind of surprised they actually use a rotating magnetic field, it seems like old technology. It must be cheap to build.

it is, thats why u can buy one of those toothbrushes for like 19 dollars, as opposed to like 65+ when that first became available

The toothbrush and other things like that charge through inductive current, same way many other small things like the keyfobs for euprean cars charge. Run an AC current though one coil and another coil close by gets power through the alternating magnetic field it creates. Same principal as Faraday just the AC current does the switching so it doesn’t need to be done mechanically.

no one gives a SHIT about this PHONE

That’s what I was getting at, I thought it would be weird to spin a magnet :lol