question about supermoto?

I’ve been thinking about it for awhile now. I’m wondering if you have to build a supermoto bike from scratch or are there OEM supermoto bikes that are made by the big manufacturers like Suzuki, KTM, Yamaha.

After watching the X games I’m beginning to want one. I’m getting lazy with mountainbiking I figure its time to have a motor pull me up those hills and be able to ride on the street too. Are there any street legal supermoto bikes? any more info would be great. I’ve been googleing a little bit too. Do any of yinz have personal experiences with supermoto?

thanks
pete

i could be wrong, but im almost positive that ktm and husqvarna offer ready made supermoto bikes. if u want a supermotobike from the big 4, u might have to build it up. i always see YZFs decked out for supermoto on ebay tho, so do a search for that. ive never done it, but i know there r some places locally doin 50cc (and other pitbikes) supermoto. thats another possibility.

what does it take to turn an older dirt bike into a supermoto bike and street legal in pa? anyone know?

suzuki has one and its street legal

which bike? i has to be 4stroke, for one…so right there if u want a 4stroke race bike, u r gonna need it to be somewhat new, cause none of the older 4strokes before 98 r competitive. on top of that, street legal and supermoto race ready r 2 different things. u need a different exaust and all the mirror and signals to be legal, while for Supermoto racing u wont have any of that, plus will prob need the most free-flowing exhaust u can get (which wont be street legal). on top of that u will need, complete wheels and suspension work as the main essentials when converting a true dirtbike to supermoto…and it wont be cheap no matter which route u go.

here, check this out…
http://www.amadirectlink.com/amrace/2004/news/SmotoBuild.asp

There are oem supermoto bikes. I don’t know the price tag, but I imagine you pay a premium for em.

A friend of mine put a street kit on his WR400 w/ excel supermoto wheels, new rear sprocket and bigger front disc. It’s AMAZING on pavement. Tons of fun.

thanks, thats the kind of info that i need.

no prob, dude. :cool:

A friend of mine has the new Suzuki Super Moto and absolutely loves it. He has powder coated just about everything on it.

He hardly rides his RM250 anymore.

A guy at the guitar store has a 2004-2005 250 2 stroke Gas Gas that he bought brand new and converted to street legal. He has also done it with ATKs and a few other bikes. I believe the dealer helped him out considerably.

KTM has a supermotto bike and i think its the best bike out there

but i am biased with ktm since it was my last bike i had

I am also a big KTM fan even though I have never owned one. I borrowed an 83 KTM 495 that was totally insane.

I would love a 300 EXC (2 Stroke of course!). I am not sure if they sell a street legal supermoto right off the show room floor, but if they did I would certainly be interested.

Do you know if they are street legal?