Question for the diesel owners on here

So i recently sold my civic and I am going to be in the market for a newer truck in the next couple months. Im considering buying a diesel, but I have a few questions to ask you guys. How are they as far as maintenance compared to a gas truck? Do they require more maintenance? Are they more expensive to maintain? I know that oil changes are more costly, but they have a longer interval compared to a gas job. Also what kind of fuel mileage are you getting? Im interested in a diesel mostly because I now drive about 2500 miles a month, so Im looking for something that A) wont cost 100+ bucks a week on fuel and B) will be reliable. I’ve done some seaching on autotrader and it seems like a diesel of equal value will be a few years older and will have about 30-50k miles more on it. My only concern with buying a gas truck is that, in my price range; if I bought one with 50k on it, in 3 years it will have close to 150k on it, and will prob be getting close to needing repairs. Also, what are some things that I should look for when buying a diesel and roughly how many miles before a diesel will start needing major repairs? I would appreciate any input.

Also, if it helps… Im interested in a Duramax

i would buy a 06 + duramax cuz they have the 6 speed allison tranny and they are the most reliable and best work trucks 6.0l powerstroke will blow head gaskets and have egr problems without a doubt usually around 60k miles and 7.3l powerstrokes have weak trannys and are underpowered compared to 6.0l have weak trannys if pulling to much weight or modded and cummins trucks have the best motor most reliable and easiest to mod but they arent as good on fuel as a duramax or p stroke and aslo ahve weak trannys and t cases and they destroy front u jounts for the drive axles about every 25k miles with easy driving

I’m buying a 2500hd here in a couple months to tow the teggy plus some. Seems to be the best diesel available. Do you really need the towing of the diesel? I’m only going with the diesel because I want the towing otherwise I would have gotten a tundra.

First off 06 duramax are not the most reliable. The 05 (lly) has been the best says GM. All duramax’s have the 6 speed allison not just 06 ethier. If your going to get one don’t get newer than 06 because the dpf’s on the newer trucks kill fuel milage. I work on duramax,powerstroke,and cummins. I would highly recomend an 05-06 duramax.

And also it is still better to change the oil at 3k than 5. This is very important if you have a 6.0 powerstroke. Unless you like having injector problems.

i love my truck 06 sierra 2500HD LBZ motor/6spd allison.ive got a few goodies on it ( tuner, intake, exhaust, etc.) and im getting 17-20 in this cold weather for mileage. in the summer i was getting 19-22. there is def more maint req compared to a gas. fuel additive is a must every tank to lubricate everything and keep it in top notch condition, oil changes every 5k miles some synthetics claim you can go as long as 22,500 miles but i would never run any oil that long in a vehicle that you will be using to tow, fuel filter every two oil changes sometimes more depending on where you get your fuel from. stay away from the newer dpf-equipped trucks they get horrible mileage and modding can be a hassle with all the federal regulations. the 06 duramax is awesome just try to find one with the lbz motor. in 06 they also came with a less stout lly motor which makes less power along with a few other changes. if you are getting a truck for towing id say GM all the way the allison makes towing so easy and effortless its ridiculus! ford makes a great truck but the newer motors have been lacking from other owners ive spoken to. dodge has an awesome motor but the chassis/drivetrain sucks! if there is anything else you are interested in let me know

pre '06 had a 5 spd tranny. all the 06+ have the 6spd. the lly had some injecter issues but 05 they solved that. the lbz has had glow plug failure but usually in the first 10k miles and once its fixed they are good to go.

If pre 06 had 5spd then why does my 05 have a 6? And 01’s and 02’s had injector problems. That’s when they were moving them from under the valve cover to outside.

The 3500 Maybe had a 6 speed?

Could be since my vin comes up as a 3500hd.

Your sig says 3500 is it a 2500?

Its a 35. They don’t make 2500 duallys.

when they swapped the motor did they swap the tranny also? pre 05 arent supposed to have 6spd 100% sure they werent unless it was some crazy option but im almost positive it wasnt. sorry you are right my buddy had injector prolem and his was an 04. but it was the early 04. still the LB7 motor which is the motor with faulty injecters. the 04.5-06 were the lly sorry for the confusion.

neg. my dad has a 3500HD quad cab dually with every option and his has a 5 spd. which is why i dont even think it was an option.

Mines late model 05. Must be from when the motor was swapped. I had this same argument when I bought it. Lol

like bananaman said, just stay clear of 2007 and up the fuel mileage is the suck.

Post was in reference to under. So it looks like 06 is where it’s at for duramax thanks for the info guys.

did you get a tuner yet you might want to talk to whoever you are buying the tuner from cuz that could cause an issue. its def not the stock tranny…

Is your tranny a 1000 serries?

Well, I dont necessarily plan on doing much towing right now, other than my fathers boat. I mostly want the diesel for the reliability factor. As I also wouldnt mind spending a few bucks less a week in fuel yet having better performance compared to a gas truck. But I was very curious about the maintanence scedule.My uncle who is a sales rep for detriot diesel and allison transmissions said to just make sure I keep up with the maintenance on the fuel/water seperator if these trucks have them. I have been looking around on dieselplace.com and trying to learn more. It seems that the lb7s were the best on fuel but had injector problems, the lly had egr and overheating problems, while the lbz seemed to have the least trouble. Im deff not interested in a dodge as they are shit trannys and chassis, and the 6.0 ford had a lot of problems from what I hear. My fathers friend is on his 3rd turbo now with less than 100k on his truck and he is very meticulous on maintaning his truck too.

yes