Do you think diesel is worth it anymore?

Since we were getting way off topic in the hail damage thread I figured I’d start this. double j was bragging about the 50mpg he’s getting in his diesel beetle and it got me wondering if diesel was really worth it with the big price difference between gasoline and diesel.

Comparing 93 to diesel doesn’t really make sense. The typical car that runs on 93 is a performance machine doesn’t really compare to your typical diesel vehicle. Lets keep this comparison between 87 octane gasoline you typically run in economy cars and diesel.

You could get a new civic, getting 35mpg, and it would only cost an extra $20 a month in fuel driving 12k/year. No diesel smell, no diesel mess, and the ability to stop at any gas station instead of having to hunt down diesel pumps.

IMO diesel was a great bargain when it cost less than or at least close to regular unleaded. Now that it’s so much more the benefit is considerably less. And since developing countries like China and India are using way more diesel than gasoline it probably won’t get better any time soon.

Of course, you have to also consider that most diesel engines will last far longer than their gasoline counterparts. But you pay for that durability with a higher initial cost so that probably a wash.

If you drive considerably over the average 12k a year and the price differential between gas and diesel doesn’t get worse it would be worth it.

$ for $ they are almost a wash (as you’ve explained), so it boils down to preference .

Diesel is alot of fun to drive due to torque bands.

If they made an AWD diesel vehicle I would seriously consider switching but for all the reasons you mentioned is what is holding me back. Having the price over $5 a gallon is probably the biggest turn off.

Bio-Diesel makes it worth it. I know that’s off topic for your comparison, but it is why I would buy a diesel.

The reliability aspect is a moot point these days. The average person really isn’t going to wear out a properly maintained gas engine. Most people on here don’t even keep a car long enough to put 30k on it let alone +200k and even then are well capable of lasting well beyond that.

At this point it’s pretty much at preference. I haven’t done much research but what is the reason that diesel costs more these days?

I’m just waiting for electric cars… and then when we get those, we can all watch electric bills sky rocket.

I don’t even look at the cost of my gas anymore. What am I going to do, bargain? Fuck no. I just pay the price, and continue on with designing my own electric car in order to take my mind off of the whole thing.

It’s a huge “crisis” but there are few things you can do without making vast changes to your lifestyle.

EDIT- although like mentioned, bio diesel is a whole other story.

I would CONSIDER it, but I cannot say that I would definitely buy a diesel car.

Chevy Volt man. If there is one car that you want to place bets on getting GM back on top that’s it. Good discussion for another thread or someone go find the old volt thread and bump it.

It’s just math. Under most circumstances it’s a wash. Compare a Civic vs diesel VW and they’ll both be at about $0.111/mile at current gas prices. If you’ve got a gas vs diesel truck and one gets 10mpg and the other gets 15mpg respectively then it’s still worth it.

What could really make it worth it is if the current prices deflate the diesel market and you could snap one up now and wait for prices to come down. :shrug:

Oh hey look, a poll.

Poorly phrased.

I would not consider getting a diesel based platform “to save money”. Save money where? As discussed in your OP, its nearly a wash.

Current model gas & deisel are easily expected to run until 150k miles respectively.
Initial cost of diesel is higher, which isn’t really be recouped by the longevity aspect any longer.
Maintenance costs are generally in favor of diesels (iirc), so that could also offset your initial investment.
And, if you want to get picky, generally diesels have a higher average resale in the end.
Fuel costs are such a wild card, but even using current prices - the fuel efficiency of diesel will offset the fuel costs.

Again I say, I would not buy a diesel to “save money”, so much as I would buy one because it fit my automotive needs.

The poll was phrased that way because 90% of the time people on NYSpeed talk about diesels it’s in threads about saving money on gas.

Would towing factor into my getting a diesel, sure. But towing is probably concern for less than 1% of nyspeeders.

if you do a side by side comparison of for example a 1999 VW Jetta 1.9tdi vs. 2.0 both 5 speeds

the 2.0 gets 21/28 avg 24.5 the TDI gets 35/44 avg. 39.5 thats a 15MPG difference

So driving 12k per year it will cost you $2047 per year in the gasser with fuel at 4.18

Driving 12k miles will cost $1525 per year in the Knocker with fuel at 5.02.

That said buying both of the cars new there is I think a $2k price difference, and the gasser depreciates a lot faster.

If I was buying a new jetta I would buy the diesel

^ the above MPG ratings were from fueleconomy.gov

right, its def not a wash yet, getting there though

Good analysis, Dan. I just wish more manufactures made diesel vehicles so there was more to choose from.

I guess for your normal 12k a year driver gas>diesel

For me 50-60k a year diesel>gas, repairs are far less then any gas car and I spend 6-8 hours a day in my car, the comfort in a VW anyday.

Plus the time i spend fueling up daily in a gasser sucks I’ll take my once mabye twice a week in the diesel. (700-800 miles a tank in the tdi>250-300 in the evo)

Edit: the resone I compared 93 to diesel is I dont have a car that uses 87 so i have nothing to compare to.

^ What do you do that you’re driving 50-60k/year?

And yeah, diesel is a no brainer if you drive that much. That’s $200+/month in savings.

Im a process server… I deliver Legel documents all over erie and niagra county in my personal car…
agreed thats why I bought it and if i sell the evo I will probibly buy a new TDI.

Edit: that is also where Bad news comes from… I deliver bad news.

I’d buy a diesel to TRY and save money. The reason above, while more piece of mind then anything, looks good to me!

I hate having to get gas twice a week and I really don’t go more then 350 miles in a week.

i want a 335D just cuz its cool

a dielel mini cooper would be bad ass