Questions about SRSwap

I am planning to get my engine this weekend and want to order all the accessories in the next day or two. So I am trying to figure out all that is required for the install! Please excuse my ignorance as some of this is new to me since I my former life was spent in a N/A Honda.

1. Do all SR20DET’s come with SMIC? What are my options for installing without having to purchase a new intercooler?

2. Is a new downpipe required?

3. Does the SR20DET come with a BOV?

4. Why is a new hotpipe required?

I am sure I may have questions to add! Thanks for the help!

1. Usually not. Sometimes clips come with them, but rarely. No options, you pretty much need an intercooler or your engine won’t run well (if at all for long).
  2. Typically yes, few engines come with a downpipe.
  3. Usually no, though some clips come with stock recirculating valves or aftermarket ones that weren’t removed.
  4. Because the stock one is usually missing.

Thanks,

I will be buying motor, tranny, ECU - not a clip. The inetercooler is the part I m least looking forward to replacing since it is so costly?
Any suggestions on intercoolers?

go to the junkyard and scrounge a couple old volvo (or otherwise) IC’s, then get someone to weld them together and slap on some end tanks. This is the cheapest way by far, but fitment becomes a huge issue. There’s a machinist in ottawa here that did that for his MR2, and it was a huge IC for his little 1600 motor. It laid down a lot of power. It cost him $50 for each IC, then the labour he did himself.

Greddy RSPL FMIC… $1200 bucks, awesome quality and works great.

Comes with all the piping from the hotpipe up to the throttlebody. You are
gonna want to do this anyways later, so just do it now.

… or just put an ad in the buy/sell section that you are interested in buying the stock SMIC with piping to get you started. There are a few of them around from guys who bought clips and then upgraded to an FMIC. It would be a lot less expensive than jumping into an FMIC (or VMIC) right off the bat.